1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Someone else volunteering you to do something

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smallpotatoes, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

One of the things we do at where I work is a photo gallery of crowd shots at events that we cover. We don't have to ID the people in the shots, just ask them if we can take their picture, then take a picture of them. We get about 6-10 such photos and run them as an online gallery. I'm told it gets more traffic on our web sites and maybe some people purchase the photos. I've done a few of them before. It's not that hard or at least it wasn't with the content management system we used to use. Now we're using a new CMS and I'm not quite sure of how to put together a photo gallery with it. I guess I'll have to learn sooner or later, however.
    Anyway, every editorial department has to do one and there was a schedule set up a while ago where it was somebody's turn each week to do such a gallery. This week, it was up to one of the three people in the sports department to do the gallery at a state tournament game.
    On Thursday, one of the other sports editors (not my supervisor) sent an email to me and the other sports editor about it saying "I nominate [Smallpotatoes] to do this. He's done a good job with it before and he's a company man."
    In other words, I was drafted.
    I would have preferred not to do it just yet because I'm not comfortable with the new CMS, but oh well, somebody had to step forward and do this and the other two guys took a step backward. I guess I'm going to do it because there's no point in all three of us getting in trouble because nobody did it. Still, I really resent this. If you're going to volunteer somebody to do something, shouldn't you volunteer yourself? Should I tell this guy, I didn't appreciate this stunt and to not ever do it again? Is being drafted for a project in such a matter just something that goes with the territory?

2. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

I just got drafted to do extra work. And I'm doing it. Because I like being employed.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Smallpotatoes, put it back on the guy who nominated you:
    "I nominate Jughead because he cares so much about this stuff."

Do it every time until he stops. Do it first the next time. :)

4. Smallpotatoes

Of course, now I'm having trouble downloading the photos, so maybe I can get out of this by dragging my feet and screwing up.

5. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Seriously? Announcing publicly that you're (maybe) intentionally screwing up a work assignment you don't like?

You could add some personalized identification, like "Ho Lee Fuk enjoys the game Saturday" or "Seymour Butts has been to the tournament all week." That might get some more page views.

You're not very bright. Do the job and ask for help if you need some.

6. Smallpotatoes

Well, maybe the person who volunteered me should have volunteered himself. I really don't appreciate the way this was done.

7. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Shit happens. Do the job.

8. Smallpotatoes

OK, OK. Should I address this with the other guy later? I really don't think this is right.

9. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Of course you should. Damn. Get a pair and address the situation with your boss or coworkers.

But do the job to the best of your abilities, ask for help if needed and then go ask. Half-assing it, and saying so publicly on this site, is stupid.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

If your employer is paying you, you are not being volunteered. You are being assigned.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Jesus Christ, where do you work? Three people had to decide. One of them had a reason for it. You didn't say "No I'm not comfortable with the CMS, I think SE2 should do it." You just took it and then bitched and got butthurt about it on a message board.

I honestly can't wrap my mind around the fact you think this was out of line. He didn't "volunteer" you. He said you have the most experience. That's generally how things are decided.

12. Rawbot

Rawbot Member

This thread makes me feel better about my life. Just the kind of pick-me-up I needed.

Draft saved Draft deleted