1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Someone convince me to get a Kindle (or some such device)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by flexmaster33, Jul 21, 2011.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Yes, which is one major drawback of the whole thing. You would think if something is downloadable that you could go in there and get it whenever you want. But the publishers restrict the database vendors to only so many copies of a download. If I want to download The Help (probably the most popular book right now), I have to get in line behind 457 other people for one of 47 downloadable copies. I have no idea how long that list will take to get through. If you want The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo you'll be 65th on the list for one of 22 digital copies.

As libraries are wont to do, the lending procedures for these downloadable books are kind of based on regular book loaning procedures. You tack that onto all the different publishers' digital rights demand and it becomes something other than simple.

Of course, if you want the book The Help at my library, you're probably waiting at least a month. People understand that because it is easy to quantify that you have X copies of the book and Y people waiting for it. Try explaining that it's the same with digital copies. If people even understand it, it just pisses them off. It pisses me off.

Draft saved Draft deleted