1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Someone convince me to get a Kindle (or some such device)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by flexmaster33, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Bob Crotchet

Bob Crotchet Member

Yes, you can read Kindle books on the PC (or Mac). Just d/l the appropriate Kindle program from Amazon and install. I don't have a Kindle but have the program on my Win7 PC so I can grab books on sale. So when I do get a Kindle, I'll have a library built already.

See Amazon's help page: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_200127470_ksupport_PC?nodeId=200388510

Also, updated Amazon tablet rumors: http://www.informationweek.com/byte/news/personal-tech/tablets/231002401

Also, at the moment, the NYT (via David Pogue) prefers the Nook to the Kindle; it's smaller, has a slot for MicroSD expansion cards and doesn't "blink" every time you turn a page (only every sixth page). But the Kindle seems to have such a huge lead in content that I don't know if the Nook will ever catch up. And Amazon is supposed to bring out at least one new Kindle this fall, so I imagine they'll close the gap soon.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I didn't know you could get games until recently. I got Sudoku, Solitaire and Yahtzee. I may never read again.

I also have a couple of magazine subscriptions on there, but no newspapers. They're online for free so I don't see the need to pay for them. Hey, wait ****

3. accguy

accguy Member

I have a Nook Color and love it. I read books, get the New York Times and my local metro delivered to my Nook Color every morning. Have gotten a couple of magazines as well.

I chose the Nook Color instead of the Kindle pretty much exclusively because of the ability to download free books from my library system. I keep hearing that library books will be coming to Kindle, but don't know much more.

I like the touch screen quite a bit and have used the web browser a little bit.

I would suggest you go to a couple of stores and check out both the Nook family and the Kindle.

Kindle is certainly a bit smaller/lighter, but I do like the additional features of the Nook Color.

4. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I didn't know you could get games until reading this. Thanks.

I got the Yahtzee and it's OK, a little clunky. I got Yahtzee on the iPad during the iTunes 99-cent games sale a few weeks back. Man is that addicting.

5. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Okay...one more question...my wife is looking at this as an option for my birthday in a few weeks (yippee!!!). She said purchasing a refurbished Kindle was about half the price.

Has anyone done this...tell me the good, the bad...and the ugly if you like :)

6. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

I got a Kindle recently and adore it. My one regret is its lack of color, which makes me think I should've broken down and spent more on the Nook Color (it doesn't bug me for books, but I figure I'll be missing out on magazines and the like).

That said, I love my Kindle far more than I thought I would, and I read more now that I have one. I held out so long because I was afraid it'd be like reading off a computer screen, but it's not at all. E-ink is easy on the eyes, and somehow holding the thing still feels like reading in a way staring at a PDF on a monitor simply doesn't.

7. flexmaster33

anyone have any experience with the Nook...heard a lot from Kindle users, and I'm sold on getting something. But I agree the color would be nice...I imagine I'll be reading newspapers/mags along with books.

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

A friend had a color Nook and it was very nice. My only beef with it was the screen seemed more like a computer screen than the Kindle, which just looks like a page from a book.

If you have a chance to compare the two, try it. I don't think I'd be as comfortable reading on a Nook, but it is better suited for magazines if the screen doesn't bother you.

9. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

Admittedly, the beauty of the Kindle to me is the e-ink, which does not strain my eyes like reading off a computer monitor does. I would not enjoy the device so much if not for that. I didn't have the chance to try the Nook before I took the e-reader plunge, so if you can experiment a bit that's definitely best.

10. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Having worked in a library the last several months, I can answer this. It has more to do with Kindle not supporting the format of books available (which are in .epub format) but they are working to make it available later this year. I would say by Christmas, Kindles will be able to support the .epub. Possibly with the touchscreen. I don't know if older gen Kindles will have a software upgrade allowing them to do this (but I hope so).

I have a Kindle DX (with the larger screen) and it's awesome. I'm back in grad school and was able to buy two of my three textbooks for the Kindle. One was the same price as the bookstore. The other was half the price of the bookstore. So I'm already saving money.

Also, if you are one of those people who goes and finds books from other sites (not that I'm advocating this and have done this. Much.) and they aren't in Kindle format (which is .azw) or .mobi or .pdf, you can download this handy little app called Calibre. Calibre will organize your entire library, allow you to put things on (or remove things) your device and will also import and convert files into the appropriate format.

11. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

It seems like everyone here prefers the Kindle. I, however, have a nook and love it. Here are the reasons that I got a noon instead of a Kindle.

First, I am not limited to buying my books from Amazon. The nook will allow you to read other books, and is not limited to just the ones from B&N. With the nook, I can check out books from my local library. Or pretty much any library, for that matter. That was really one of the main reasons I chose the nook.

Also, I have the first edition, and not the color. For the same reason someone else above mentioned: the e-ink technology. It really is awesome and is so easy on the eyes.

I do not really ever want to upgrade to the color. If I did that, I might as well just buy an iPad. I like my nook for what it is: a reader.

Also, I believe that the books, overall, are cheaper for the nook than they are for the kindle, though I have never purchased books for a kindle, so I cannot say this with 100% accuracy.

Plus the nook gives you a free book every Friday. They are not always something I would read, but I usually download them anyway. A free book is a free book.

12. flexmaster33

two more days and I may find out which I have...the wife has been very secretive this week and came in carrying a bunch of packages the other day. Here's hoping one of those brown envelopes was hiding a "Happy Birthday" reader :)

Draft saved Draft deleted