1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Someone at the NY Times has a serious girl-crush on Elizabeth Warren

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Nov 19, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Headline shamelessly stolen from Anthony De Rosa at Reuters:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/20/magazine/heaven-is-a-place-called-elizabeth-warren.html?_r=1&hp=&pagewanted=all

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Sarah Heath Palin, an Outsider Who Charms

www.nytimes.com/2008/08/30/us/politics/30palin.html?ref=sarahpalin

Her father shot the grizzly bear whose hide is now draped over the sofa in her office. She, too, hunts and fishes. She runs marathons. She delivered her fifth child during her first term as governor. They call her husband, the reigning champion in the annual Iron Dog snowmachine race, First Dude.

Sarah Palin, Senator John McCain’s surprising selection to be his vice-presidential running mate, took Alaska by surprise, too, not long ago. Though indisputably Alaskan, she rose to prominence by bucking the state’s rigid Republican hierarchy, impressing voters more with gumption, warmth and charm than an established record in government.

It was a combination that dumbfounded her rivals.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

If Warren were 10 years younger, she'd be the next great hope for the Dems, but she's not, so she's not.

4. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

A left-of-center paper popping wood for a Democrat who actually behaves and thinks like a Democrat.

I'm shocked. SHOCKED. ::)

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

. . . but more than servicable as the one who'll take Scott ("WHAT Wall Street $$$? Huh?") Brown out with the trash, next fall.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Is there any other kind of crush one can have on Elizabeth Warren?

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

How many beers we talkin?

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Politics needs more politicians like Elizabeth Warren. I've always admired her willingness to advocate for the public at large, her willingness to ask provocative questions and question leadership when it's called for.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Here is the companion piece to the Warren article. It is titled "Vilifying Rival, Wall St. Rallies For Senate Ally."

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/19/us/politics/wall-street-rallies-around-scott-brown-for-senate-race.html?src=recg

Funny how the right talks about Elizabeth Warren in these sophomoric terms about crushes and SHE'S UGLY HAHAHA!!!!!!! Anything to prevent a discussion of what she's actually saying, I suppose.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I'm on the right . Just sayin

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

As opposed to how the left talks about her?

In my lifetime, one Republican has been loved by the party, Ronald Reagan. People gush about him to this day, and compare everyone who's come after him, to him.

Democrats fall in love with so many of their candidates. They're smart. They're earnest. They're going to change the world.

The Democrat Party is like a perpetually 13-year-old girl. It's constantly developing crushes on the pop idol/politician.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Your definition of terms makes arguing this almost impossible, because it's just a matter of what YF has felt about politicians in the last 30 years, but there has never been a hyper-crush from an entire base that even remotely approaches Palin love '08. Others who have gotten this treatment would range from Newt to Paul Ryan.

I can understand the deflection of issues here, though. If people listen to Elizabeth Warren's message, the spigot gets turned off, and Wall Street can't have that.

Draft saved Draft deleted