1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Somebody, plz, tell me what the f she means.....

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dave Kindred, Apr 10, 2008.

1. Monroe Stahr

Monroe Stahr Member

Reading books isn't the only form of reading, SC. Nor is reading Something Besides Books some lesser form of reading. Reading the NYT Book Section, for instance, is very worthwhile. Reading the NY Review of Books is also highly worthwhile. Magazines, newspapers -- worthwhile. TV? Even that's worthwhile, if your job is to write about games and athletes. But thanks for sharing your incredibly narrow-minded point of view.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I always find people who claim to "love reading" but claim not to have the time don't really like reading at all. The "poor me, poor me, I'm too busy" is an excuse.

I have three kids who are now mostly grown up. Both my wife and I worked (at demanding jobs), had our kids enrolled in swimming, hockey, baseball football twelve months of the year and always found time to read--and made sure that we read to our kids every night when they were young.

You need to reprioritize your modern prioritizing.

3. Monroe Stahr

Monroe Stahr Member

Read the above post -- if you can squeeze it into your busy reading schedule.

4. I don't care what this woman said.
    I care that Kindred is turning into a character from One Tree Hill.
    I care about that a great deal.

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Is it safe to say that if all the smart people on this thread can do no better than guess at the author's meaning, she probably didn't do a very good job expressing it?

ps, I don't care for Jane Austin, I hope that's okay.

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I think Cadet nailed it when she wrote that this woman wrote this article as a pitch to get new clients for her consulting business.

7. Monroe Stahr

Monroe Stahr Member

Feel free to badmouth Austen all you want, 21. Heck, go after the Bronte sisters if you feel like it.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

C'mon everybody, back inside the box where it's safe and comfortable!

9. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Is 'Sense and Sensibility' available as an RSS feed?

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

You don't even need that.

Just read ABOUT the book.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sense_%26_Sensibility

Who wants to spend time reading that boring stuff when you can curl up with a Tom Clancy page-turner?

11. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

So if they read a synopsis of the day's newspaper, would that be the Falling-Off-The-Cliff Notes version?

12. Mediator

Mediator Member

I'm sure that Jane Austen would've been able to explain the future on non-newspapers a little more coherently. And we would've tittered knowingly along with her, by candlelight.

Draft saved Draft deleted