1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Some things are beyond parody

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Cullen Jones would like a word ...

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Helluva post for #11,111.

3. sg86

sg86 Member

If she's going to talk about perspective, she needs to take a step back and really look at the situation.

One is a kid who got caught on camera smoking out of a bong at a college party.

The other (Carmelo) is a guy who wears hundreds of thousands of dollars of jewelry around his neck, hangs out at various high profile clubs and surrounds himself with questionable people.

Of course one is going to catch a bad rap compared to the other.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Whitlock weighs in.

http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/9183470/Quit-crying-double-standard-over-Phelps

5. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Why bring race into this at all? Equality takes a step back with these types of columns.

6. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Yuck. Awful. Just awful writing. Can't handle it.

7. Sneed

Sneed Guest

Seriously....this is just dumb. She's right, there is selective perspective out there in the sports world, but people don't hate Barry Bonds because he's black. They hate him because he broke the most sacred record in all of sports by cheating.

I could go on about this, but I'm not. I'll just say that it's black folks like Jemele, who appear bent on uncovering racism even in places it doesn't exists, that actually further support stereotypes that might otherwise fade without their apologists.

Oh, but by the way....can you imagine what people would say if Phelps were walking around in jeans hanging off his ass, wearing an oversized white tee wearing a 'dorag under a cockeyed Phillies cap -- tags still attached -- and slumped over by the five-pound gold cross, not gold medals, dangling from his neck?

I don't care if you're white, black, Mexican, or Martian, you dress like that, you're asking to get labeled as less than intelligent. Appearances aren't everything, but c'mon, common sense, or lack thereof, goes a long way....

8. Sneed

Sneed Guest

And to clarify....no, Barry Bonds doesn't dress like that. But some of the others she named -- Rasheed, Carmelo -- have dressed like that before.

And now I'm done.

9. Peytons place

Peytons place Member

My main issue with her column is she's all over the map. Is she promoting decriminalization of pot use, or stronger penalties for drunk driving? Is Phelps being treated to harshly, or not harshly enough? And where are her examples that Mayo or Melo were treated worst by the critics than Phelps. I never saw it. The fact is, most people only pay attention to Phelps every four years or so, like his DUI at 19, or his recent incident at 23. If she's going to suggest racism is at play here, then she should use some examples of how this is so. Also, it would be easy to understand her point if she would just pick an idea and stick with it throughout, because I'm not even sure what her point was.

Draft saved Draft deleted