1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Some sports scribe loves "My Boys"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Shifty Squid, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Fair enough, Fenian. :D

BYH, I also like handbags, glitter nail polish and US Magazine...

But don't let that bother you.

:-*

2. If the Boys on this show were as smart as the other women on SATC were, it would be worth watching.
    I also didn't know US still published.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

This is war.

4. Not at all.
    Luggie's got the power.
    I'm just trying to negotiate tariffs here.

5. Lugnuts

OK -- That's just uncalled for. US is as popular as ever -- somebody back me up on this! Dyno??

Here's a tidbit from a Columbia University publication... Min refers to US editor Janice Min.

"Under Min’s leadership, Us Weekly’s readership has grown by 22 percent and ad pages by 28 percent, according to industry monitoring sources. Newsstand sales show the most dramatic gains: During the Fuller era, the magazine averaged 507,000 weekly copies sold; that number has since risen to nearly 851,000. Readers are young and affluent, with a median household income of more than $72,000. In October, the industry publication Advertising Age named Us Weekly its 2004 magazine of the year."

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'd say the magazine is even bigger than that graph indicates.

My wife's aunt and uncle have those mags piled ceiling high in the bathroom and they're each over 50. Ditto for my ex-roommate's in-laws, with whom he lives.

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I only saw the parody of that scene in "Date Movie" and can only imagine what the real thing must have been like.

8. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

And if this were really like SATC, then we'd have to see Jim Gaffigan naked. Do we really need to see that?

I like Jim Gaffigan. He brings the funny. His Hot Pockets bit is hilarious. But I would never ever want to see him naked.

9. I am truly and justly schooled.
    Thanks, Luggie, for the knowledge you have given me at this festive time of year.
    When was their last Lohan cover?

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

As chick flicks go, that one wasn't bad. Definitely more watchable than My Boys, but that scene in the ladies room at the ballpark near the end bugged the hell out of me.

Cameron Diaz's character ripping Julia Roberts' character to shreds for being a manipulative, selfish jerk was fine. But when the spoiled little princess also put her down for being a restaurant critic, that made her completely unlikeable. And you have to like her for that ending to work.

11. Lugnuts

;D

Lately it's been mainly Britney -- and her "dangerous" new friend Paris Hilton -- and what it means for her kids!

The best thing about US is how it reports with tongue firmly planted in cheek. Some of the copy is genuinely hilarious.

12. OK, now, wasn't US Jann Wenner's entry into the PEOPLE sweepstakes way back in the day?

Draft saved Draft deleted