1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Some more DMN stuff

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SockPuppet, Jul 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Something to remember:

Dallas just recently was involved in the NBA Finals, an event which I assume blew their paper's space budget all to hell.

As someone who works for a paper whose normally good space budget is also currently blown to hell for a similar reason, I can understand the need to rein things in somewhat during the "dead" portion of the year. Better to do it now than in September and October.

Of course, if Dallas and Fort Worth were producing similar-sized papers during the NBA playoffs, and if Dallas is producing 8-page sections today while Fort Worth is producing 12- and 16-page sections, I guess my theory is shot to hell.

2. standman

standman Member

You may have a point, but remember that the Stars were considered contenders for the Stanley Cup before bombing out in the first round. Granted, the Stars did the DMN a huge favor, but you would think they had to budget for both teams going pretty far which means extensive travel across North America. The DMN just sent its soccer writer to Germany to cover the entire World Cup after he had to write about it from home the last time.

I think the concerns are how to handle the Internet and a possible downturn in the Texas economy. For whatever reason, a downturn tends to hit the Texas area first.

The next challenge will be once more people get their newspaper info online, how to maximize profits? Will the DMN charge for something that has been available for nothing?

3. dcdream

dcdream Member

word on the street is that three of their national beat reporters are told they need to go in another direction.

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Yeah, BTE, but cutting 20 staffers isn't short-term "reining in."... that's permanent.

All newspapers have had to deal with budget adjustments after a huge event involving a local team. This is much more than that, if all of it's true.

5. Which will perfectly match the people who live there.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Which ones?

7. PEteacher

PEteacher Member

Well said. Unfortunately, one of them is our president.

8. dcdream

dcdream Member

Bill Nichols, Terry Blount and David Moore, that's what i hear

9. standman

standman Member

Just so we're clear, another direction as see ya? Or another direction such as a different beat within the company?

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Which direction? West on I-30 to Fort Worth?

11. dcdream

dcdream Member

direction of getting out of the company by accepting the cash.

12. standman

standman Member

Wow, feel bad for those guys. Especially Moore because it's his second time going through this including the Fox thing falling through. :'(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.