1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

(Some members of the) Miami Herald sports staff call in (sorta) sick (maybe)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Johnny Dangerously, Oct 5, 2006.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Re: Miami Herald sports staff calls in sick

In the light of day, does anybody know anything more about this, seriously? It did happen?

Have a friend who's about to start work at the Herald, and just curious.

2. awriter

awriter Active Member

I thought it was a good effort on your part.

3. EE94

EE94 Guest

As for Ricky Williiams, he is now part of a two-back set with John Avery for the Toronto Argos, who play Edmonton in a Thanksgiving Day clash on Monday.

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Subject line changed to more accurately describe the info I received.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

That's some good editin there fella....

6. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

Glad to see Avery survived his stint in the XFL.

7. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I took two potty breaks at work yesterday. Or should I start a new thread for that?

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Depends...
    If two other co-workers did it at the same time, maybe.
    If you work at JRC, shut up and don't tell anyone or you'll be fired for taking more than one,.

9. this is a good point to tell your Miami Herald war stories from hell. it's a very tough place to work, and it should not be that way from a paper of that (former) repute.

i was there six or seven or eight years ago (maybe 10), but it seems that the Herald keeps screwing a once-great paper into the ground. wasn't right then, ain't right now.

Beware the lure of Miami. Too many stupid problems down there.

10. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

She does know all.

11. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

But it was a tough place to work in its heyday when it built its deserved reputation as a great paper. The sports desk was always an insane place to be. When I was there they had a bulldog edition every day. The rim would report at 3 and deadline was 4:15, so you would blow through a dozen stories or so in an hour. It was sheer madness, but you'd never be fazed by a deadline anywhere else again. Then you had a desk meeting and dinner, and the next deadline was at 9. Then 10:15. Then 11. Then 11:30. Then 12:30. Then 1. Then there was the international edition, which the one person who handled it would want to wrap up by 3. So it was like wind sprints, with a very small desk.

I did not enjoy that aspect of it, or the split days off. But I got to work with some amazing people, and I've yet to encounter a situation where management was as tolerant of people being a little different or being so vocal about how things ought to be. In retrospect, I should have stayed longer than I did.

The sports editor at the time told me that they wanted it that difficult because it forced people to depend on each other, and indeed the sense of teamwork was unique. No matter how good you were, you knew on some nights the job was going to be tougher than you were and you would need your colleagues' help. It was a forced lesson in humility, and there have been times since when I wished a few people could experience a month in Miami to bring their egos back to right size.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I know of one major paper where a good portion of the desk called in sick on a day when a major sports event was happening involving one of the local pro teams in a dispute over overtime...

It's a big union paper so there was really nothing anybody could do about it. This was several years ago, but if I remember the story correctly, the desk ended up getting what they wanted...

Draft saved Draft deleted