1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Some like it hot...... sportswriter/desk in Yuma, Ariz.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Mark2010, Jul 13, 2009.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

My first clip in a non-student paper was in the Sun stringing a HS football game and reading my handwritten story to a voice a few hundred miles away.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

That seems to be the trend, just like schools in Texas along the border. When they get in against the big city schools with taller, stronger, faster kids it's a tough go.

3. Andy Dufresne

Andy Dufresne Member

Anyone know who escaped the Sun?

4. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

True. Yuma is an economic wreck.

5. BrianWills

BrianWills New Member

Just to set the record straight we (Yuma Sun) had one round of layoffs a year ago and none since; last quarter Freedom had mandatory furloughs (40 hours); and this quarter everyone in Freedom, except new hires, are being forced to take a 5 percent pay cut. Wages have been frozen. Nobody has said when all of this will change for the better.

I don't think we have been hit as hard as most in the profession in terms of layoffs, furloughs, etc. but we have been hit.

This job is open because instead of having two supervisors - one for sports and another for the copy desk - we are going to see if one person can oversee both. It may not work and if it doesn't the plan is to go back to the way things have always been done.

The pay is what it is.

I've been here for 3 years. Yes it is ungodly hot for three months of the year; miserable for two more; and really pleasant the remainder.

We don't generally cover our teams when they go to Phoenix - we can get help from Mesa when they do - unless it's a state playoff.

If you want to know more feel free to contact me at bwilliams@yumasun.com.

Draft saved Draft deleted