1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Some Lesley Visser news

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Jun 29, 2006.

1. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Lesley Visser is one of the five nicest people I've ever met.

2. I still get reminded from time to time when a friend and myself from the same paper were covering NCAA early rounds tourney, there was some, ahem, fun and games one night and the next day at the arena Lesley had scratched out our names on the name cards and replaced them with Cheech and Chong.
    She's great

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

It was purely a comment on how drop-dead gorgeous she was.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Exactly.

Look, I'm going to tell it here with the warning that I do not want this to degenerate into a discussion of similar stories or a can you top this or whatever. Taken by itself, it could be found offensive. Knowing the people involved, they took it for what it was - a funny comment delivered by a guy who could deliver such things.

So ****

Galloway is telling a story as only he can and it's full of bad words and the like. He looks up and notices Lesley is at the table. As he holds her in high regard like everyone else in the world does, he immediately starts apologizing. Which leads to the following conversation.

"No, no, don't apologize. When I'm around, I want you to treat me like one of the guys."
    "Impossible. Can't do that."
    "Why not?"
    "I've never wanted to eat one of the guys before."

And there you have it. It takes a big set of rocks to deliver a line like that and tremendous grace to accept it and laugh. Two of the really good one's in our business, that's for sure.

5. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

I take it she laughed. Don't know her from anything but her work, but good for her. Congrats

6. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

I worked with her at an NCAA Tournament many years ago when she was staffing as a sideline reporter. I was required to sit next to her and feed her any notes that may come up during the game or help her with access if a player gets hurt.

She sits down two minutes into the game, turns to me and says, "Do you have any M&M's?"

Me, be the smartass that I am, responded, "plain or peanut?"

She indicates that she would prefer the peanut but the plain would do just as well. Of course, I have neither.

During the first media timeout, I track down one of my students and send him off in search of M&M's, which he delivers at the 8:00 timeout. Lesley was thrilled.

To this day, any time I work with Lesley, I bring M&Ms for her.

On a side note, if you work with her in the tourney, she always sends you a personal thank you note and a CBS Final Four hat (or some similar gift).

She's a classy dame.

7. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

I was lucky enough to meet Lesley way back when, about 1982. We were about the same age and I was smitten (although it was damn clear she was outta my league). Agree with the assessment of her beauty. GREAT wheels. And for someone with that much talent and accomplishments, she's still very nice.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Second that. Good to see her get that big of a story.

Never met her, just seen her from across press rows, but her smile seems very genuine. Can't say that about every personality in the biz, male or female.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

She's one of the girls who's one of the boys.

Gets solid marks in my book.

12. mose

mose Member

I struck up a long press-row conversation with her at at NCAA tournament sometime in the late '80s. I was also struck by how pretty she was -- much more so than she appears on TV, I thought at the time.

The other thing about her I vividly recall is that when you're talking to her, she gives you her undivided attention and does so at unusually close face-to-face range. That prompted my college buddy, who had met me at the tournament and was crashing in my hotel room, to offer to sleep in the car, if I needed some "privacy" that night. When I told him who she was -- he hadn't recognized her from his far-off vantage point -- he understood that wasn't going to be necessary.

Draft saved Draft deleted