1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Some Good News

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pete Incaviglia, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Since being moved to news I've not dropped by the SportsJournalists.com Nation much. But, I thought I'd offer up some good news - hoping it might make some people feel better or encourage those out of the biz but wanting back in to stick with it.

Our shop laid off 11 in February/March and eight now have full-time newspaper gigs again. One of the copy editors elected to become a teacher and is employed full-time. So, basically, nine are employed full-time. No one lost their house or racked up major debt.

The two photographers are full-time photographers and NOT reporters/photographers.

The two who are not employed full-time are both making a a decent wage freelancing. However, one wants back full-time in the worst way. She's good. I suspect she'll land something.

And, one other nugget: Our circulation is up over last year - and that's with our bulk/giveaways being WAY down. Home delivery is up a lot over last year.

Just thought I'd let everyone know good things can happen in this business.

2. beanpole

beanpole Member

Pete, that's great to hear. Your post made my day.

I got laid off last week -- the first time I've ever been without a job. Good to see that there's hope out there for some.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

Great new Pete. You hang in there. I was told by a publisher that things are going to start improving in the business in the first quarter of the new year. We shall see.

4. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Yes, always nice to hear of things looking up somewhere...especially circulation-wise. That's been a struggle at my paper ever since I got there (14 years), holding steady, but not going up.

5. Indeed, this all certainly indicates an impending uptick in the business of old-fashioned newspapering.

Seriously?

Time to move on folks. And working for a "newspaper website" isn't much different than the actual rag. Legacy business with failed and flawed thinking everywhere. It's not exclusive to this industry, that's for sure. We have the same Wall Street crooks in charge of fixing the mess they created. In newspapers, we have the same crooks (publishers) and short-sighted idiots (editors) trying to fix what they created.

Don't follow them to the slaughter.

Draft saved Draft deleted