1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Some good news from Seattle

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Apr 16, 2008.

1. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Not at all. [/sonicsfan]

2. VJ

VJ Member

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i guess it pays to read to the end.

4. Billy Monday

Billy Monday Member

Meaning those who were there the longest were going to be laid off or the opposite?
    If these were young people and recent hires, how dumb is it for newspapers to go into the digital future by sticking with those closer to retirement age?

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

naw dude. they kept all the snot-nosed little fuckers on board because they don't mind working for jack shit.

the suits there know how little experience means in the bigger picture of producing a relevant product.

just like you, dude. you have no idea what a buyout means in the bigger scheme of life, yet i'm sure you could put together one hell of a dig concerning the topic. good work, billy.

6. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

It's a union shop.

7. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

shop? Shop? SHOP?!!!

8. Billy Monday

Billy Monday Member

I wasn't advocating targeting by experience.
    It's dumb to do buyouts/layoffs by seniority from the bottom or the top. It's dumb to get rid of experience and institutional knowledge. It's also dumb to get rid of recent hires who show a sense of enterprise.
    I'd do it by talent and initiative. No matter the age, can they get a hard story on their own? Can they adapt? Are they versatile?

9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

In other words, you prefer a system that is completely subjective and therefore open to any particular supervisor's whims. Such as, which staffer strokes me, the boss, most consistently. Or which staffer, in fighting for a story, disagreed with me most vociferously. And so on.

Until a workplace has a foolproof evaluation system that fairly ranks staffers in terms of, what was it, "talent and initiative," the time-tested union approach of reverse seniority is going to dictate most layoffs at most union shops. As it should. Wait a few years and you'll probably agree, Billy.

10. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Well said.

In otherwords, if it was done any other way, you'd have, well, what you had in SoCal at the Singleton Gulag, where the talented and capable likes of Matt McHale, Paul Oberjuerge and Matt Kredell, among others, were shown the door.

11. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Baker is a year older than me, making him 38.

Draft saved Draft deleted