1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Some good news from Seattle

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The Fourteen are safe.

A total of 14 people were told they were facing a layoff if enough people didn't accept the buyout.

Enough did.

Those in sports who were among the 14:

Geoff Baker, Mariners beat reporter
    Holly Wray, copy editor
    Rich Boudet, designer

Some good news during these days of hard times in the business. The layoffs were apparently determined solely by seniority.
  2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I know a couple of people there and they felt they were going to make it. Glad these 14 made it.
  3. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

Anyone hear if any sports guys took a buyout?
  4. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Good for Holly.
    She's really good people and a damn good journo.
  5. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Is that some kind of reading comprehension question?
  6. VJ

VJ Member

Rich is a great designer and did the sports journalism community a great service putting sportsdesigner.com together. The idea of someone firing him is insulting to my brain.
  7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

how many of those people are older than 40?
  8. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

Good call. I was thinking the same thing. I don't know her very well, but she did edit my first few articles at The Maneater.
  9. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Glad to hear this. Those are some supremely talented folks there, especially Boudet.
  10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Congrats to those 14, but what a way to get more people to take your buyout, eh? Actually name the names, so you have to watch them on the firing line for at least a few days.
  11. Jones

Jones Active Member

Baker was on the Blue Jays beat for the Toronto Star when I was there. Talented guy, a little cocky but he backed it up with a National Newspaper Award or two. He had a good, safe gig at the Star as far as I know; it would have sucked bad for him to get pinked only a little while after heading to Seattle.

I was wondering about him as this unfolded. I'm glad he's safe.
  12. Moland Spring

Moland Spring Member

Of all the workers facing layoffs, how in the world is the Mariners beat guy even on the list? Isn't that, ya know, important in Seattle?
Draft saved Draft deleted