1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Some good news about the economy for once

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mustangj17, Oct 27, 2010.

1. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Except it's not a put option. A mortgage is a contract between you and the lender and when you sign that contract you are accepting responsibility for making the payments. In essence, you're giving your word. If your word doesn't mean anything to you (or if it's not worth as much as say, $84,000), then that speaks to your character, or lack thereof.

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Oh God forbid -- how about the market is allowed to work and we figure out how to do things better in this country.

Temporary pain would have meant long-term gain.

Instead, our business and personal spending practices still suck and will continue to because we didn't learn shit.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

How is this any different from the banks who most likely packaged and sold your mortgage 20 times over for their gain. The banks were bailed out - why not the mortgage holders. This is strictly a business transaction . You cannot apply emotion to doing what's best. Walking away is a legitimate option.

4. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

It's not about emotion, it's about character. What the banks do is irrelevant.

5. Boom_70

In this case character will leave you homeless.

6. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Not me. I'm doing just fine. But I also live well within my means.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

So what do you propose that people do? Keep paying money to the bank as best they can until the bank tires of it and throws them out anyway? The preaching about living within your means is old and tiresome and achieves nothing. People in this situation may have made ill-conceived financial judgments, but they were far from alone and they were in many cases aided and abetted by banks that stopped saying no.

The rules of the game changed. You might as well tell Adrian Peterson to play in a leather helmet.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Try 25.

Oh yes, and we'll be cutting the "free and reduced lunches" soon as well.

9. zagoshe

So how long do we continue to pay for irresponsible people's decisions? And how long do we continue to blame everybody else but the people who signed on the dotted line?

I bust my ass and pay my God damn bills, taking extra work and doing some extra jobs here and there and sacrificing some things, in order to make it work -- is that too much to as of every other God damn citizen in this fucking country?

Nobody told you to go sign up for a $2500 a month mortgage when you only made $3500 a month.

10. zagoshe

There would be no need to cut programs like this which make sense if we didn't allow the government to continue to spend money and throw it down a bunch of endless pits of pork barrel bullshit.

Unfortunately, next Tuesday millions of drones will go to the polls and again elect the same old crooks from the two major parties and then both sides will try to declare some sort of "victory for America" based on the results.

11. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Bullshit. Living within your means is never tiresome. It's the best way to ensure financial health.

Too many people were either trying to keep up with the Joneses or getting too far ahead of themselves and it's no excuse to simply say "everyone else was doing it."

Blaming others for your mistakes is what is getting tiresome

12. Boom_70

Exactly - money they could have used as deposit for rental and seed money to get back on their feet.

Draft saved Draft deleted