1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Some DMN section editors now report to sales managers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SixToe, Dec 3, 2009.

1. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

So journalists at the paper can express frustration with things down the road and the higher-ups will agree to change course, even if this new system increases revenue, and no one will have any issue with that? If you believe that, please contact me about some beautiful swamp land I have for sale. ;D

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Belo used to have a pretty good reputation.

I think the frustrating thing for journos is many still enjoy the job because it represents (-ed?) something more than just making money. That there was a code, and adhering to that code allowed newspapers to call out businesses and politicians for shady practices.
    There's nothing wrong with being a two-dollar whore, it's just that the whore shouldn't expect people to think of them as a pillar of integrity or credibility.

3. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

This is amazing. Amazing.

The very first radio station that I worked at, 20 years ago, was a 1000 watt AM station in a town of 12K.

The local hospital was one of our largest advertisers, fully 30 percent of our annual budget. Our news guy did some story, I don't remember now, that the hospital did not like, and my boss, the owner of the station was invited to a meeting. It was made clear to him that they should be made happy. He told them he was sorry he could no longer do business with them...and he walked out and never took another dime from them. Two years later, they wanted to co sponsor some event we were doing and he refused, telling them that no one would ever tell him what to report.

I guess that spirit is gone now :'(

4. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

holy crap, he's holding up fdluxe and briefing as examples of the future of good journalism? good grief, charlie brown.

5. fleaflicker

fleaflicker Member

You nailed it, Michael. What a crock! Did anyone read the quote from the guy who is called the sports editor or whatever title he has? Bozo to the max.

6. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

So, Mark Cuban can now spend $50,000 a week in advertising and he gets to write all the Mavericks stories with Tim Cowlishaw's byline on top of them?

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

DMN staffers say we're crazy to think any ethical lines will be crossed ... http://www.poynter.org/column.asp?id=101&aid=174407

8. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

dmn management

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Right, sorry.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

There won't be a newspaper closer to DFW than Corsicana after this shit works out.

11. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

Not sure if this is cleverly relevant or just arcane, but the A.H. Belo mansion was used as a funeral home for decades.

http://www.dallashistory.org/history/dallas/belo.htm

12. fleaflicker

fleaflicker Member

Had a DFW unscheduled layover last week, and saw the DMN--horrible travesty of what it was from 1981-2006...It should apologize to all for its, ahem, transgressions...How could anything tank so profoundly?

Nothing there, just...nothing t_h_e_r_e.

Draft saved Draft deleted