1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

some columnists should stick to what they know..

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by shockey, Jun 5, 2009.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

ny post's jay greenberg is one. his column today on giants stadium's final year. check out the lede, specifically:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/06052009/sports/giants/at_old_stadium__first_steps_in_final_lap_172695.htm

richard todd was traded to the saints BEFORE the jets moved to the swamp. sorry, but this is a very bad error. his last jets season was '83, my first on the beat.

jay, whom i like and is a fine fella, was a star hockey writer in philly, then at s.i. he drowns when doing football, though. can't speak to his insights on other subjects.

p.s.: thanks for the thread catch, sportschick! ;)

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

That that awful lead is still there online right now is pathetic.

Pedestrian, sophomoric piece otherwise.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I look out for my friends, shockey.

4. noodles

noodles Member

Speaking of errors in that story, wasn't Leonard Marshall's big hit on Joe Montana, not Theismann? I seem to remember Montana's head bounced off the frozen turf during a playoff game.

Can't recall Theismann suffering the same fate, except against LT in the Monday Night Game, but that was played at RFK. ;D

5. Sleeper

Sleeper Member

Jim Burt knocked Joe Montana out in the 1986 divisional playoffs at Giants Stadium.

Marshall knocked Montana out of the 1990 NFC championship game -- at Candlestick Park.

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Boy, I almost really embarrassed myself by noting that Giants Stadium was occupied in 1976. I knew that because I covered a game there in, I believe, 1978 when Tampa Bay running back Jimmy DuBose, off to a surprising start, suffered what ended up being a career-ending injury (for all intents and purposes).

Then, of course, I noted the reference to when the JETS moved in.

Whew.

7. Simon_Cowbell

The Bucs were 5-0 and went in there and lost in 1979.... Wonder if that was the same game.

Probably not, Ricky Bell was the RB in 1979.

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Yeah, I covered that season, too, although differently. I was the gamer guy on home games so our beat guy could write columns -- in 1979! And boy, I know how some SportsJournalists.comers hate that -- and wrote columns on the road when I traveled. Bucs needed to win 3-0 vs. the Chiefs in torrential rain in the last game to make the playoffs, then lost to the Rams 9-0 in the NFC championship game.

Season I'm talking is 1978, it turns out. From one Bucs bio: "Had the first 100-yard game in franchise history against the Giants in 1978 and was hurt in tackling Harry Carson on an interception return in that game. Was traded to the Dolphins before the start of the 1979 season but never played again in the NFL."

Sorry for the threadjack, Shockey, although your main point was pretty much well made from the get-go.

9. Simon_Cowbell

I don't know if "torrential downpour" really accurately describes how heavy it was coming down on The Sombrero that day.

Biblical, to be sure.

Draft saved Draft deleted