1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Somali-American accused of plotting to bomb Oregon tree-lighting event

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Nov 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Not always. But in certain circumstances, yes it is. Undeniably.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

In this case the Oregon paper, linked above, had the alleged terrorist bomber as "...a Somali-born U.S. citizen." Someone with a Hispanic surname would not be identified as a Native-born American, but most likely had someone with a Hispanic surname be arrested for an alleged crime of this significance, he/she would be identified by his hometown and birthplace. That would put the identity in context. Juan Rivera, born in Portland Maine, has been living is Fairbanks Alaska since 2006.

3. baskethead

baskethead Member

My 3-year-old son and I were at the tree lighting, so this obviously freaked me out. It's a bizarre and scary feeling knowing there was just some random guy who I probably never would have noticed who was more than willing to kill me, my son and all the people around me for, let's face it, no real reason. You walk around all day knowing in the back of your head that anything can happen, I could get in a car accident every time I step in the car, etc., but to be in a position where some guy could have actually blown me and my kid up, it definitely pisses me off that we live in that kind of world, where I can't take my kid to a tree lighting without worrying that someone is going to bomb me. It certainly doesn't make me hate Muslims, or immigrants or anyone other than this one guy, but it's definitely shaken me up.

4. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

If this is entrapment, I fear that I have become a big fan of entrapment.

5. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

And surprise, surprise, the jackass backlash has apparently begun:

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2010/11/fire_at_corvallis_mosque_that_portland_bomb_plot_suspect_attended_causes_little_physical_damage_big.html

And as for "Allah Akhbar" is a war cry..."

For an extremist minority, yeah. For millions of others, it's a profession of faith.

It's a shame that some of us are either too ignorant or too lazy to to take the time to figure out the difference.

6. YankeeFan

That's considered a "backlash"? One idiot's misguided, piss poor attempt at retribution is a backlash?

I would think it would take several incidents to warrant use of that term.

And to say it's "apparently 'begun'" is silly too. if there was no serious backlash after 9/11, it's unlikely that this incident will lead to one.

As for "Allah Akbar", I know the difference, and you admit that it's a war cry for an extremist minority.

Why am I "ignorant" or "lazy" for pointing this out? The way it's been used by this fellow, by Maj. Hassan, by the murders of Daniel Pearl, and others, it's a war cry.

That's just a fact and to ignore it is ignorant or lazy.

7. YankeeFan

It was the father that first alerted the feds about him:

What a nightmare for this family.

It also explains why he was unable to leave the country.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The father may have known, but the family living across the street was 'shocked'.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/11/29/oregon.bomb.plot/index.html?hpt=T2

It's time to kill the 'neighbor is shocked' story angle. It is hackneyed and cliche and lazy.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Some odd notes - he apparently went Christmas shopping on Black Friday.
    A friend was quoted "All college kids do stupid stuff, just not something like this."

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2006/10/prophetic-justice/5234/

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Minister: He was a loner, and a quiet young man. He attended church, and Sunday School. I remember he was always very polite.

Ted Koppel: Do you believe he killed Buckwheat?

Minister: Oh, yes. Definitely. That’s all he talked about.

12. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

YF:

The fact that you're assuming I was talking about you is your problem, chief. But it's very revealing.

And this isn't the only case of anti-mosque vandalism or violence. You know that, because you're a smart guy. So stop playing games.

As for the "Allah Akhbar thing" .. we're both right, I suppose. And for every example you give, there are millions of peaceful others, people using it in daily prayers, or at mosque.

Put down the broad brush. Go actually get to know some Muslims, like I do. You might learn something.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.