1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Solomon's final column on the WWL

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by tyler durden 71351, Mar 29, 2007.

1. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Missou,
    You might be a little off base here. I know George Solomon had one ear, and that's Vince Doria. If you're going to have one ear on the news side, that's the one.
    George and Vince go back decades. Those private conversations are where changes are made -- granted, if any -- not the ramblings of an ombud's column.

Calling George's work a "waste" may be a gross overstatement, too. Everytime he posted a column, it was a thread here -- sometimes multiple threads -- and on other journalism sites, too. People noticed and read because it was George. Maybe a little too inside for the general reader. But, his work was hardly a "waste."

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

There are other journalism sites? blasphemer

3. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Clearly it didn't raise awareness of the spelling of ombudsman.

4. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

He was actually an ombundtsman, in charge of making cakes in the commissary. I realize he was probably thought of as a nuisance by the "talent" and nothing he said was ever overtly dealt with, but I agree he was there for a reason. And one reason he left is that his contract was probably up; ombudsmen usually only stick around a certain period of time, a year or two, for very good reasons, much like Daniel Okrent at the Times.

Since I don't think they ever replaced Darren Rovell, they should have a joint business/media reporter like Richard Sandomir.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The "talent" there were told to ignore his column...

If you think he made such an impact, I would like one example of how ESPN has improved journalistically in the last 21 months...

6. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

I said he was there for a reason, not that he had any impact.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

OK, we're in agreement then... :)

8. fishwrapper

Really? Did I say he "made such an impact?"
    But, to discount him is another matter, isn't it? It is George Solomon.

9. fishwrapper

Whoops...Mixed message.

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

No, actually it undercut everything that came before. I assume he did that in lieu of an F-You.

11. tommyp

tommyp Member

My first thought after readiing this was 'what took him so long?'

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

He did mention egos.. maybe this was his shot at Stuey...

Draft saved Draft deleted