1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Solomon's final column on the WWL

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by tyler durden 71351, Mar 29, 2007.

1. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Hope this isn't a d_b....figure this should generate some comments.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=solomon_george&id=2816724

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

"They might also want to back off the intensity of ESPN's coverage of Michelle Wie, the Yankees and the Red Sox."

What? Less Yankess and Red Sox? But, but, that's as vital as the air I breathe?

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I would suggest ESPN.com do more editing of its Page 2 columnists -- some of whom seem to shoot from the hip for the sole purpose of shooting from the hip. In the same vein, ESPN commentators, including some of the network's biggest stars on TV and radio, might be more thoughtful and less outrageous and loud in their opinions. I've always believed just because someone has the title of commentator or columnist, it doesn't mean he or she should not be held to the same journalistic standards of fairness and accuracy as everyone else on the ESPN team. I also wonder why some commentators believe viewers are interested in their political views? Also, ESPN editors should be more careful of their staffers claiming exclusive stories when these stories are not always exclusive.

4. KnuteRockne

KnuteRockne Member

Interesting, particularly who he left out of the list of people worthy of praise (Dan Patrick's omission is certainly interesting).

5. Baltimoreguy

Baltimoreguy Member

Inane ramblings. Sounds like a new, more accurate intro for what used to be called "Nobody asked me but...."

6. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Nice of him to close with "boo-yah!" Really adds to the overall tone of the column.

7. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Obviously, ESPN didn't pay a whole lot of attention to Solomon in the sense of following him. But it's still better to have this kind of thing than a culture that demands everyone mouth the party line.

There are basically two kinds of news-budget meetings in a newsroom, those in which people wait for a cue from the person running the meeting so they can agree with him/her, and those in which people feel free to offer dissenting viewpoints and even argue passionately. No coincidence that the latter usually put out better products. I have no idea what kind of culture exists in ESPN's newsroom, but having an ombud at least shatters a perception that those running the place believe their judgment is infallible. That's better than nothing.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Of course, this is the best GS column of his tenure, with 95% of it being dead-on.

Just wish he'd pushed more of this stuff forward, far earlier in his run. It was all true then, too.

9. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

He's really been pushing for a media writer. I bet that's the only thing that comes out of his tenure.

10. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

How about stop jamming NFL stuff down our throat? Particularly in the, uh, offseason.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

You're overly optimistic... The only thing ESPN got out of having an ombundsman was being able to say they have an ombundsman...

It would have been a good idea if anyone there actually ever cared about his opinion...

It's unfortunate, because Solomon was a very well-respected SE, but he was completely wasted at ESPN and I'm guessing he picked up on that and that's why he left...

The biggest crime at ESPN is not being inaccurate or doing something that's unprofessional. The biggest crime at ESPN, as Tony Kornheiser, Jason Whitlock, TJ Simers and countless others have found out is criticizing ESPN...

12. leo1

leo1 Active Member

and what about stark?

Draft saved Draft deleted