1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Solid work by Tim Dahlberg

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ColbertNation, Apr 18, 2009.

1. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

For anyone who gets a chance to read Dahlberg's column today, I think it's worth it.
    I'm a Yankees fan, and I missed the YES network for a brief two-year period while living down south. But what I didn't miss was the extended seventh-inning stretch with "God Bless America," which most of the time is played over the PA. It's forced, it's over-the-top, and (I think) unnecessary.

"... if Campeau-Laurion was tossed from Yankee Stadium for, as police claim, having a few beers and using inappropriate language, a case could be made for kicking out half the fans at any ballpark in America.
    Just doesn't happen. Especially in New York.
    So I tend to believe Campeau-Laurion's basic contention - that he was forcibly removed from Yankee Stadium because he dared to try and go to the restroom while "God Bless America" was being played between innings.
    That's right, kicked out because he picked the wrong time to take a potty break."

And if Bradford Campeau-Laurion's claim is legit, then all I can say is: God bless that drunken fool.

2. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Wow. There's 13 pages on the court case on another board.
    Egg on my face.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

You can be forgiven for not paying attention, since the other thread long ago lost any real connection to the actual topic.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

There's like a page and a half on the court case and 11 and a half of all sorts of fun.

5. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

What happened? I must have been in the bathroom.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Well now nobody saw it. Thanks a lot.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

That thread is classic SportsJournalists.com - focus on a "minor" element of the story and pretty much ignore the big picture - that being the Yankees infringing on a person's civil liberties.

Anyone reading SportsJournalists.com for the first time looking for insight into a major sports story from people supposedly in the industry would come away sorely disappointed. With only "Head for the nearest railing, and pity the poor folks who paid for field-level seats" and "I'd have urinated on the stairs. Everyone's being forced into patriotism, with their eyes fixated on the singer and flag. Anyone who looks down at your stream of justice obviously doesn't love his or her country enough" as pretty much the only take aways.

Sadly - that person's opinion of SportsJournalists.com after reading a thread like that would probably be spot on.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

The nearest railing bit was my little contribution. :)

Sardonicism......sorry it was lost on you.

9. jps

jps Active Member

why do you hate urination?

10. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's the best nation in the world!

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

It pisses him off.

12. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Sort of consciousness of stream.

o-<

Draft saved Draft deleted