1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Solid Crouse Angle On Bears/ Saints

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Boom_70, Jan 19, 2007.

1. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I see it as sticking up for someone. I don't start threads for the sole purpose of ripping someone like you do. Seriously, would you have the stones to go online and rip people in your line of work? I seriously doubt it. You're like some gutless scumbag in the stands taunting players.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

could not be any worse than being ripped by Phil Mushnick in the paper.

How do you feel when your beloved luppy rips an athlete? Is that different?

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Lupica is doing his job -- he gets paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to do what he does. You are just getting a sick thrill out of ripping people because your life is lacking. Maybe you didn't get enough attention as a kid. Maybe you had to stand in the corner because you kept flunking spelling tests, I don't know. But I do know if I found myself hanging out at a message board for accountants or real-estate agents and making 11,000 posts, I'd hope I'd wake up and get myself some psychological help real fucking quick.

4. Boom_70

Toss in insurance agents and you probably have a point. Who would want to hang with accountants or real estate agents. For that matter if this board was made up of primarily stuffed shirts like yourself this place would not be much fun either. Thanksfully it's not.

To your point on Luppy essentially what you are saying is that its OK for writers to rip people but its not OK for writers to be ripped- a one way street.

5. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I'm going to repost these, since Boom hasn't answered them yet.

What's your point?

Do you post these because you think they don't serve the NYT readership?

Do you post these because you think they contain factual errors (as pointed out above by 21), and therefore present an opportunity to discuss the nuts and bolts of reporting and information gathering and story construction?

Do you post these because you think they represent an opportunity to talk about craft? If so, what are your thoughts on the specific mechanics and techniques Crouse employs?

Do you post these because you're disappointed there isn't a better New York angle in each case? Even though New York has no team in the playoffs?

Do you post these as a dissatisfied reader? If so, why are you dissatisfied? Insufficient Xs and Os? Even though on each of the days these ran, there were several other playoff Xs and Os stories in the same section? Four of them yesterday, for example, with additional sidebars and so forth?

You still haven't revealed why any of this is important to you.

And I'm still honestly curious.

And I'll post these two Crouse pieces from this morning. They must have been spiked by the Ladies' Home Journal.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/22/sports/football/22soldier.html?ref=football

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/22/sports/football/22saints.html?ref=football

6. Frank_Ridgeway

No, my point is that you're a sick, gutless moron. Be a man, you worthless puke.

7. Boom_70

What's that say about you Frank? You seem awfully troubled by my posts. Perhaps they are hitting to close to home.

Seems odd that you are so defensive of the Times.

8. I'm not going to be so presumptuous to interpret Boom's posts, but I'd like to think what he was getting at was that the reporter -- by almost every account, a good person, reporter and writer -- was dispatched to do a story about something that just can't be reported by walking around a locker room and pointing a tape recorder at teammates. That's the drawback to being a good writer: editors tend to think you can write out of anything.

So the story ended up looking soft, but, as I said before, she did the best she could under the circumstances. I'm holding the editors at fault here. They should have known better than that, maybe even held the story if it needed more reporting. Doing a good Tank story would take time. Sending a good writer to do a pretty little story isn't the way to get the job done -- although I'm sure we'll be reading a lot of Tank stories next week.

This is an interesting debate to me because this stuff happens all the time in this profession. I read a really dismal story in the Kansas City Star yesterday about Rex Grossman that had one nothing open-locker-room quote from Grossman in it. The rest of the quotes were from his dad and Chicago talk-show hosts. Understand, I'm not blaming the writer -- no shit, that's what a K.C. writer is going to get in Chicago. But hey, they had their Rex Grossman story, so there.

9. Frank_Ridgeway

If you feel so strongly about your right to rip people, why don't you have the balls to ID yourself and tell us where you work? You're not in journalism, so you should have no fear of retaliation in a business sense, thus your anonymity is pure cowardice. You are like those chickens who taunt players from the safety of the stands, and then cry like sissies when a player comes after them.

10. Boom_70

So I take it then that you are really Frank Ridgeway.

Ok - in the last year how many times have you seen a player go into the stands? You make it sound like this is a common occurance.

11. Frank_Ridgeway

As I said, I do not start threads to rip people like you do. Tell us who you are or get lost.

12. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Boom, ask Frank about the jet that didn't crash into the Pentagon.

Draft saved Draft deleted