1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Solid Crouse Angle On Bears/ Saints

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Boom_70, Jan 19, 2007.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

spitted -- fuck you cocksucker

Just for the record I am the one who had put the spotlight on Crouse's soft reporting that you "pros" are now clucking about.

Phil Mushnick even brought up the subject on his column today.

Sorry but the Tank Johnson story is a softball one. Anyone hearing about Tank for the first time woul come away feeling that he is just misunderstood.

I ask again why no quotes from the neighbors who called the police time and time again because of disturbances at the Johnson household.

Why not a complete listing of his arsenal. Why no interviews with witnesses from the club where Tank's body guard was shot.

Given all the recent gun violence and pro athletes this should have been a big part of story line.

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

She certainly summarizes his legal problems at length. It's not her fault you are too mentally retarded to read properly.

You seem rather obsessive about this, to the point of being deranged. Again, a veteran columnist for Chicago's No. 1 daily took a similar tack. I have to place more stock in that than in the opinion of some idiot viewing the situation from his Lay-Z-Boy in New York.

I suggest you see a shrink.

3. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

That's a spotlight, Boom?

Thanks for illuminating the issues in such striking detail.

4. Boom_70

BTW spitted let the record show that you spelled "idiocy" wrong

5. Boom_70

Hey Frank do you think Phil needs to see a shrink also?

SCARY MONSTERS OF THE MIDWAY
    By PHIL MUSHNICK

January 21, 2007 -- IF YOU intend to commit a crime or two, but expect sympathy and support from the media in return, perhaps it's best to first be a member of the Chicago Bears defense.
    Last Sunday, after defensive tackle Tank Johnson made a game-saving sack late in regulation, Fox's Joe Buck seemed to marvel at the accomplishment: "It's Tank Johnson, with all he's been through." And then Buck left it at that.

Those unfamiliar with what Johnson has "been through" might have thought someone close to him had died - an aunt, maybe, or his grandmother.

Well, someone close to him had died. Willie Posey, Johnson's friend and bodyguard - Johnson, at 6-3, 300, needs protection - was shot dead in a nightclub. Johnson was with him. Posey was a convicted felon for drugs and armed robbery.

A day earlier, Johnson and Posey had been arrested following a raid on Johnson's house. Police found drugs and an arsenal, including three assault rifles and more than 500 rounds of ammo. Johnson already was on probation for a prior arrest, a weapons charge.

Yep, Tank had been through a lot.

Same goes for Bears DB Ricky Manning. In September, he pleaded no contest to felony assault of a Denny's patron.

Tuesday's New York Times - the "Newspaper of Record" - in an upbeat piece about Manning, touched on that episode: "Manning has acknowledged getting into an argument with a customer and shoving him in the head before leaving."

Yeah, there was an argument. The victim pleaded to be left alone and Manning disagreed.

According to police accounts, at 3 a.m. several men began to hassle a fellow, a UCLA student and Swedish citizen of Persian descent, who was wearing earphones while working on his laptop. They yelled racial and sexual insults at him until the fellow had the audacity to say, "Leave me alone."

Manning shortly thereafter hit the fellow in the face, then left, leaving the others to beat the hell out him. Those details didn't make the lengthy Times piece, only that Manning had gotten "into an argument with a customer."

"Initially, I reacted to getting disrespected when I thought I shouldn't have been," Manning, who had a prior record for assault, told The Times. "OK, I shouldn't have done that. But I thought I did the right thing by walking away, leaving."

Yeah, congratulations to Ricky. He did the right thing. An innocent man was being bullied and Manning was the first to hit him. But as that man was being beaten unconscious, Manning left. Yep, he's learning how to walk away from trouble.

After Manning's arrest, The Times notes, "his public image took a brutal hit." Really? Brutal hit to the image, huh

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Does Mushnick need a shrink? Well, that is something I could not say for sure. What I can say for sure is that the New York Post never passes up a chance to tweak its competitors in print, usually the Daily News, but at one time the Post had a columnist who did nothing else but write a weekly column about the Times. The Post has ZERO credibility with me in its reporting about other newspapers. And right away I see a factual error, or at least a misrepresentation of facts, in Mushnick's column. He said "according to police accounts," when in fact it was the alleged victim's statement to the police, not the police's version of the facts, not the statement of impartial witnesses, but the statement of the person filing the complaint. No responsible journalist could take the alleged victim's version as gospel.

I think you're probably mentally ill, Boom, because you seem obsessed about a writer you don't know. Stop being such a turd.

7. Boom_70

More on the cuddly Tank Johnson from ch 7 news:

The recent troubles of the Bears' Tank Johnson started when his neighbors complained to police about his dogs. One neighbor videotaped the animals loose in the backyard of Johnson's home in the northern suburbs.

Gurnee police say they went to Tank Johnson's home eight times over the past two and a half years. Six of those calls related to his dogs, pit bulls that drove the neighbors nuts.
    Incessant barking, filthy conditions, a fowl stench: all coming from Tank Johnson's backyard where he kept three pit bulls in cages, all of it caught on camera by the neighbors next door.

"The smell is atrocious. It's cold, so you can imagine what our yard smells like almost all summer," said the tape's narrator.

The homeowner owner who kept this video journal said Johnson's dogs were outside all the time, in the cold of winter and heat of summer, often not given food or water for days on end.

"There is no food, no water in the cage at all," said the homeowner.

Piles of feces, the stench of urine. Johnson's neighbors say they haven't been able to use their backyard for the last two and a half years, describing it as a living hell.

Lake County animal control investigated and says the dogs were not fed for up to two and a half days. Gurnee police were called to Johnson's home six times because of the dogs.

"The cleanliness of the pens, that type of thing, and those were some of the changes he had to make, which he did," said Jay Patrick, Gurnee police. "The dogs were barking a lot. Like I said, we got three complaints on that."

Neighbors say bag after bag of garbage piled up all around Jonhson's home for months because he wanting paying his refuse bill. The Bears say they called Waste Management to assure that the bill would be paid. Once it was, Waste Management went and cleaned up the mess.

As for the dogs, Johnson's lawyer says he bought bark collars to keep them quiet, which worked for the past come months.

But on November 4, police say Johnson's bodyguard, Willie Posey, fired a shot at one of the barking dogs, prompting the neighbors to call 9-1-1. which resulted in the police raid of Johnson's house last week.

When ABC7 tried to ask Johnson about his dogs Wednesday, a woman came to the door and told us this:

"The Bible teaches us to turn the other cheek."

ABC7 has learned that Johnson has now given up his dogs for adoption. His attorney said Wednesday morning that a local animal rescue group picked up the dogs. He also says that Johnson is seriously considering moving from the neighborhood.

8. Frank_Ridgeway

Who gives a shit about that outside Chicago? Get a life. You must have a sad, lonely existence to spend so much time on here and post more than 11,000 times when you aren't even in the business. Don't you feel even a little embarrassed for yourself, turning into some kind of weirdo cyber-stalking sicko?

9. Boom_70

Frank what's weird is the fact that you are so sensitive and defensive of Karen. I just don't get it .

10. Frank_Ridgeway

I've worked with her. Good person, good reporter.

And I don't like you. I've always thought you were an ignorant turd. I thought your points about Lupica were idiotic and I've said that, too. The way you get your jollies by tearing down people anonymously is creepy, disgusting and, frankly, unmanly.

11. Boom_70

Assuming that you are not really frank ridgeway,you are doing just what you have accused me of doing

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Frank, calling Boob an ignorant turd is an insult to turds everywhere.

Draft saved Draft deleted