1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Soliciting Opinons on Turning 40

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Jun 11, 2007.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I loved turning 40.

50 not so much.

And like Spinited, I'll revel in turning 60--the new 40:)

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I really shouldn't take the gimmes.

3. chazp

chazp Active Member

I'm reading this thread closely, I'll be 40 on Nov. 23, 2008. Yikes, that's too close.

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Turning 30 was a bigger deal than turning 40.

5. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

30 was tougher than 40 for me.
    30 was like closing a door to my more wild and innocent youth.
    40 was like opening a door to the rest of my life, an invitation to be better than ever. To get in better shape. To live healthier. To read more books. Spend more time with family. See more bands live. Go to more farmer's markets. See more community theatre. Grow tomotoes.
    The list keeps going ... it's totally up to you if want to say goodbye to your 30s or say hello to some the best years of your life.
    Remember, education isn't about knowing the answers. It's about asking the right questions. I don't have a whole lot more answers at 40 but I am better at asking the right questions.

6. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Totally agree with three_bags on this one; a great thrill. But take the time to go through the day-long class so you'll be able to jump and not have a guy on your back. That's just not right.

7. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

LIve your life and worry about more important things. Do what you want and what your body allows. All that fretting and fussing is nothing but a waste of time. Have some fun. Get over it. You know enough dead people. That's your alternative. Living is more fun.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

30... 40... 50 none of it was tough for me. It's simply not an issue unless you make it one. Do what you want. Enjoy it.

My sister hit 60 last september. A whole gang of us had a great freaking time celebrating in Vegas .. and we're doing her 61st and my 58th in Vegas this Septmeber.

As for the impending 60th, after JR hits 60, I will join him a few days later and he and HC and I and whoever else wishes to join us in NYC in Sept. 2009 for a major kick ass celebration. And then I will follow in my sister's traditon and celebrate again in Vegas the following week.

It's only a number. Live it and love it.

9. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Ever since I turned 25, I've been terrified of turning 30. I've got about two-and-a-half years until I turn the big 3-0.

Damn. This year is going by way too fast.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Bing-o.

11. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

My 30th birthday was truly one of my favorite days of all time. When people ask what are my happiest moments, I think back to that day. I was working in Australia, it was winter, we had about 25 friends around for tea and then dinner. We had a balcony that opened to the Opera House; such a stunning view. My friends (not sports journos, obviously) were the type to glam everything up; they insisted my party be black tie, men in tuxes, ladies in gowns. I'm not kidding. It was like being in a 17th century queen's court.
    And the next day we all went out to the bush, to something called a "bachelor and spinster" party. It's pretty much what it implies, except again, everyone's in black tie (always owned, never rented). And it's on a farm where they raised sheep and shot a lot of roo. Carcasses everywere.

My 40th was so depressing. Was no longer living in Sydney but went there to celebrate. It was nice and tame and over by midnight as everyone had to get home to the sitters. A couple friends wore trackies -- shoes 10 years ago they swore they'd never buy because they were so tacky American. All my friends had gone onto new cities, careers, families, life. OF course I hadn't expected it to stay the same, but I sort of wished it had, just for one day.
    (I do have a ton of ball gowns if anyone ever needs to borrow one.)

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Wow... sounds like a germ for a movie.

Really well written and evocative.

Draft saved Draft deleted