1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Soldier throws puppy off cliff (Disturbing video)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DougDascenzo, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

And I'm still shocked that a website meant for adult journalists would have members that hide and pout when their favorite team loses a game.

When I first saw this my instinct told me it was probably fake, but I'm now leaning the other way. The military has acknowledged the video and the guy has been identified for a few days now. Yet neither has denied its authenticity. For damage control purposes, I think they would've done that as soon as possible IF it was fake.

And the reasons why some are claiming it's fake simply don't hold water with me. That's definitely a real puppy, stuffed animals puppies aren't made to look like that, the only question is whether its alive. I think it is: Puppies nearly ALWAYS hang motionless in that position when they're held by the scruff of the neck, it's how their mothers hold them and a natural instinct to do so. And the supposed "sound effects" actually sound exactly like puppies yelping in distress I've heard before, and the sound fades exactly as it would if it were real.

I think it's probably real.

2. There was another story link somewhere this morning that had quotes from the Motari family, but I can't find it.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

wfw

4. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Fake: Effects so bad even Ed Wood would be ashamed to call it his work.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If the video had show the guy throwing a "suspected terrorist" off the cliff by the scruff of his neck, I wonder if the outrage would be half as strong.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Of course not.

The idea of anyone being a bully over something defenseless and woefully undersized.... is despicable.

If it were a man, it would be different.

A small child.... a tiny dog.... ? Not the same.

And, anyone who doesn't absorb stoney's post and admit the video is real.... man, you are either stupid or an inveterate contrarian, and possibly you are Marion Cotillard.

7. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Where's this outrage when humans are getting abused or killed?

8. Simon_Cowbell

Did you ever WATCH the Berg video?

9. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

With all that said...yes, it's a pathetic act if true, but there are plenty of worst things happening every day with disturbing regularity, including other animals being brutally slaughtered and tortured. You've seen the news lately about those cows? You know how KFC kills their chicken? How about the state of some of these puppy mills?

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Good question. How many soldier's families received death threats over abuse in Abu Ghraib?

11. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

But puppies are cuter than cows. Cattle are gross.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

then start a thread about the KFC chicken killings, and stop throwing red herrings around this thread.

Draft saved Draft deleted