1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Solar storms and the end of life as we know it and going back 100 years and such

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Sneed, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Sneed

Sneed Guest

It was a passing thing so I don't have any good details or even a link (sorry!), but I heard something on TV the other day about NASA doing some study about solar storms and predicting one could occur in the next few years that could wipe out electricity all along the eastern United States.

Anyone know anything else about all this?

ADD: Just found this link, which seems related: http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/2007-03-27-maya-2012_n.htm

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I hope this happens to the East.

Then we'll see who is flyover country, cocksuckers.

3. Sneed

Sneed Guest

Um....lol?

4. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

If the solar storms are as bogus as the Mayan apocalyptic thing, then I'm not too worried. I'm sure the bunkers are being built somewhere, though.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Now I don't have to tell you good folks what's been happening in our beloved little town. Sheriff murdered, crops burned, stores looted, people stampeded, and cattle raped. The time has come to act, and act fast. I'm leaving.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Is this related to Y2K? I still have saltines.

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

There can be no such thing as solar storms. The sun burns at exactly the same temperature all the time. Just ask those who believe in man-made global warming. Warmer temperatures couldn't possibly be from the sun burning more intensely. Just couldn't possibly happen. Liberals wouldn't allow it.

8. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

As long as we Left Coast urbanites are OK, let the red states go screw.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Solar flares can, and did, cause power outages. See Quebec, 1989.

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2009/21jan_severespaceweather.htm

I think the Mayan calendar thing is Art Bell bollocks.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I hope this happens during baseball season. I'm sick of hearing about the fucking Yankees and Red Sox.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The state best-equipped to handle a solar storm is Texas, which has its own electric grid. The East Coast and the PNW are toast. Enjoy those day games in the Bronx for a while.

12. Sneed

Sneed Guest

Um, what, is that weird, building bunkers?

I think it's great that this is one of the first real concerns raised in the thread. Like, seriously, I laughed out loud, but not at you, just at how I agreed in my head.

Man I love sports.

Draft saved Draft deleted