1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Softdrink Rant/Discussion/Whatever

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Flying Headbutt, Apr 16, 2008.

1. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

I was once told by someone who knows about such things that the cost to a restaurant/store/etc. for a fountain soda -- including the soda itself, the cup, renting the machine, everything -- was five cents a serving. Profit margins are high.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Sounds like media companies!

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I guess.... but I think that often McD's is better than straight from a can.

4. Simon_Cowbell

wfw

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Barq's Red Creme Soda. The all-time favorite beverage of my youth, only had it once a year when I visited my grandparents in Ohio. Now I live in a place where I could get it every day, but I try not to so as to still keep it unique.

[​IMG]

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

A few random thoughts on this great thread...

In Virginia, Micky Ds and Hardees (shudder) sell sweet tea for a buck, and it is a depth charge size.

Good Southern eateries will sell the sweet tea so shockingly sweet that they will serve water with the tea so that you can cut the sweetness to taste. This is the reason I always have to say "unsweet tea" when I go to lunch.

Coke Zero with a full glass of ice is percent. Strong flavor, but without the sugar.

FYI, do you know that about 35-40 packs of sugar are in one 20 oz Coke?

If I can get Coke or Pepsi in a glass bottle, I will splurge and have one. My bar has small Cokes in glass bottles on reserve. This is one of the great benefits of living in a bottle deposit state.

I have heard that Kosher Coke is the best. If you are true Kosher, you cannot have corn syrup, which is what sweetens Coke normally. When pure cane sugar is used, the taste is much, much better. I have to try one of those Jones Sodas.

RC Cola rocks!!!

7. Simon_Cowbell

Damn, sonnn....

I have never seen anything but their root beer.

8. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

There ya go. Sit on the porch with an RC Cola, Moon Pie and vow that the south will indeed rise again.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Dead-solid-nuts true.

And I go on very few "the good old days were better" rants, but in this case, we make exception.

The old Coke 6 1/2-oz. glass bottles filled with product made with goddamn cane sugar was the Taj Mahal. The Hanging Gardens. The Collosus of Rhodes.
    Once f'ing Atlanta went to corn syrup, the product was Not The Same.

I understand that bottlers in Mexico still use cane. If that's so, it would be reason alone to head South of the Border.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

GodDAMMIT I wish I'd been on here last night when BYH was wavering.

Hey pally...

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

You mean Mountain Don't?

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

You and most people. But if you like red sodas, it's the best.

In my town, it's only available in 12-pack cans at the grocery store (usually about four are on the shelf), at some rural gas stations in 20 oz. single bottles, and at White Castle via fountain. That's it.

Draft saved Draft deleted