1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Softball team carries opponent to victory

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Tripp McNeely, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Tripp McNeely

Tripp McNeely Member

I bet you don't help people in wheelchairs with the door ... and you trip old ladies, too.
    Ass. ;)

2. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Reminds me a little bit of that story about the mentally disabled high school kid in somewhere out East. His team was down 42-0, and he usually was the QB in the victory formation. He goes in to take the last snap, but the winning team's coach told the other team's coach to let him score.

Great act of sportsmanship.

3. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

My biggest question after hearing the story:

How did she manage to blow out her knee on a home run trot? Was this a Bill Gramatica celebration injury or did she just hit a base wrong or what?

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Did you read it? Or just hear it?

and

5. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

I'm an idiot.

I heard the story on ESPN and completely overlooked the link in the first post. Never saw it the first time through.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Dude. Really?

It's one thing to tweak your knee or ankle and hobble across the bases. It's another to tear your ACL, plop on the dirt and writhe in pain. No one in his or her right mind is going to stand there and insist a player crawl his or her way around the bases; not only is it a tad inhumane, but it'd take a ton of time.

This was a great story. Leave it at that.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Cue Chris Connelly and soft piano music.

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

It's a neat story and a very nice act by the opposing players. Got absolutely zero problem with this, even from a competitiveness aspect. Since when should competitiveness override basic decency? Otherwise, it's a hollow victory.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Great story.

I know a guy who tore his ACL and played six games in the Ontario Hockey League with the injury before he got an MRI. Hockey players are fucking nuts.

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Just watched the Sportscenter special on this...beautiful story, but who cares what Gary Busey thinks about anything?

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i think this was the biggest sports story in the PNW this week. there were a helluva lot more people talking about what happened at that softball game than any freakin' MLB or NBA game.

12. Tripp McNeely

Tripp McNeely Member

My first thought was "Great. It's good that sportsmanship receives some high-profile coverage. Maybe it'll show younger athletes that you don't need to be a malcontent to dominate headlines."

But then I stopped and thought for a minute. Does this same act of sportsmanship happen if it's a baseball game?
    I would like to say yes, but I'm not so sure.

Draft saved Draft deleted