1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Softball team carries opponent to victory

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Tripp McNeely, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Tripp McNeely

Tripp McNeely Member

Not sure if this is a DB ... I did a quick search and didn't see anything right away. I just heard about this on ESPN. Very interesting story.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/columns/story?columnist=hays_graham&id=3372631

The competitive part of me is like "What the hell were these girls thinking!!??!!" but the sentimental part of me thinks this is a great story.

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'm the same way, Tripp.

My competitive side wouldn't allow it, but my sentimental side thinks it's the greatest thing it's ever heard.

3. Tripp McNeely

Tripp McNeely Member

Yeah, I'm thinkin my sentimental side is winning out. I think it's a great story. Hopefully, the first baseman receives her due rewards for her sportsmanship. And that's what she did was: a true act of sportsmanship.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It's all right; the ball's over the fence, it's a home run.

It's a stupid rule that an injured runner has to physically run out an over-the-fence home run.

Nothing at all like Nykesha Sales' bogus basket, where the opponent allowed a free basket during a game which was still in doubt (in fact, had just started).

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Um, didn't Sales' basket come as the first basket of the game, and then the opponent got a free basket as well?

I don't think 2-2 counts as "still in doubt."

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

that is a GREAT story.

I'll admit I got goosebumps.

7. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Damn. I'd like to think my daughter would turn out like those girls.

What class. Those two kids' parents should get a pat on the back. You always hear about how kids turn bad because of bad parenting, but those parents deserve some credit there.

8. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Very classy. I'm glad they did it.

9. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Am I dreaming, or isn't there a rule in baseball that allows a pinch runner in similar circumstances? Is that only HBP or something? I've made a quick scan through the rulebook but can't find anything.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

There is. I don't know the exact interpretation, or if the team pinch-runs for the player before it sends a trainer out there to tend to the injured player. But when Gabe Kapler tore his Achilles rounding the bases a few years ago, a pinch-runner was credited with the run.

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Good sportsmanship, but I feel like this whole thing is sensationalized.

Torn knee ligaments hurt, badly, but after a minute or so you can limp around on them. The girl could have even crawled, if she absolutely had to, so its not like the opposing team carrying her was the only option.

Anyway, that was nice of the opposing players, I don't know if I would have done the same thing If I were the opposing player.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

mustang gets put on blast in 5 ... 4 ... 3 ... 2 ...

Draft saved Draft deleted