1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Softball scoring question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by RedHotChiliPrepper, Apr 14, 2010.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Most of the teams I deal with, an adult keeps the book anyway, but they've been known to do bizarre stuff too with rulings. Once upon a time I used to carry the rulebook to assignments just to be safe, but that was a couple of moves ago.

As for kids keeping books, this is one I've always shared in these threads: Legion playoff game, runner on first. Batter hits a fly ball to right the fielder drops, but he recovers in time to throw to second and retire the runner. I write down the fielders' choice in my scorebook, but I see an error on the scoreboard. So I go to the booth and tell the kids that can't be an error because an out was made. They hem and haw and finally come up with the brilliant defense "But we're official." I reply "That doesn't mean you're right in this case, that's no error" and go back to my seat, my futile task complete.

2. I actually think they got the better of you on this one. The batter reached base because the ball was dropped, not because they chose to take the out at second base. So it should be scored E-9, 9-6 or 9-4 putout. That's how I see it at least. Because you make your scoring decision based off of how the batter either reached base, or didn't reach base. This situation is completely different than just getting the lead runner on a ground ball. If it's a routine fly ball the right fielder dropped, you have to score an E-9.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Wrong Chilli. It is FC 9-6(or 4). No error because lead runner was put out. Doesn't matter how batter reached base.

Draft saved Draft deleted