1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Softball scoring question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by RedHotChiliPrepper, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Should I say here that you should check the scorebook for the home team and go with whatever they have?

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

It's only a hit if the scorer determines that it was improbable or impossible for the fielder - the pitcher, in your case - to have retired the batter at first base.

Let's say there's a runner on first base and a ground ball hit into the hole between short and third. The shortstop is able to get to the ball, but there's no way he or she will get the batter at first. The only play is at second base, but the throw is late and the runner is safe. That's a base hit.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

OK, that makes sense. Thanks.

4. HanSenSE

Good idea, but coaches may not know all the rules of scorekeeping. I've covered teams where the coach would award a sacrifice to batters who moved a runner over with a grounder to the right side. Yes, the batter sacrificed himself, but according to the book, it's not a sacrifice.

5. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Ace's post was sarcasm.

6. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

No, that doesn't. The throw was to second. We don't know if the fielder could have thrown the runner out at first because she didn't try to go there. If this is a hit because it's specifically stated in the rules, then I'll call it a hit. But I'm having doubts.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

It's a judgment call by the scorer. If they feel there's no way the shortstop was going to throw the batter out at first base, regardless of whether the shortstop actually tried, it's a hit.

8. HanSenSE

Still a good idea, though. I always do on close calls (difference between a one-hitter and no-hitter, for example) and lineup changes. Most high school baseball and softball announcers seem more interested in playing DJ or being a cheerleader instead of announcing lineup changes.

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

The result of an attempt at a fielder's choice cannot and does not affect the scoring of what the batter did. If the runner was out at second, then it would have to be a fielder's choice. If, therefore, the runner is safe at second, it cannot be a hit. A batter doesn't "earn" a hit because a runner beats a throw.

10. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

And 15-year old boys/girls are more interested in the game?

Yes, the home book is technically the official one, but it's not always the right one. We've had this discussion on a here a couple of times.
    Trust your own judgement. You likely know the rules or are following the game a little closer than 15-year olds, who might miss a play waving to their friends in the stands.

11. apeman33

Sure, if the only play was to first. In this case that we're discussing, the play was at second. To me, this is a fielder's choice. The batter doesn't earn a hit because the fielder throws the ball somewhere else.

12. apeman33

Yeah, that.

Draft saved Draft deleted