1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Softball scoring question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by RedHotChiliPrepper, Apr 14, 2010.

1. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Sounded pretty clear to me ... what does everyone else think?

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

Crystal clear.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'm thinking fielder's choice.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

5. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

E-3. First baseman's mental, physical, spiritual -- whatever, error was cause to extend the inning.

6. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I would probably react to the play as I saw it, but I'd have to go with the thought that if she had a chance to make a play and failed to do so, it's an error. She wanted to tag the runner but didn't make an out because she had the ball in the wrong hand. Error, the same as if she had dropped it.

But we had this happen twice in the juco games here yesterday. The girl fields a grounder cleanly, has a chance to get a runner out somewhere — first, second or third — and looks around but doesn't think she can get any of them out, so she held the ball.

I say: Fielder's choice because the fielder can choose not to make a play. The scorekeeper next to me wants to call it a hit because there was no error.

If only scorekeeping was that simple.

7. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I don't think it really matters what you put, because somebody's losing a scholarship over this.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Similar situation today for me in a high school game.

Runners on first and second, batter hits a bouncer to the circle. Pitcher tries to get the lead runner, but she's safe. I write down fielder's choice for batter. Home book had it an error allowing the runner to go to third as well, which looks more correct in reading this thread ... right?

9. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

No ... that one is a fielder's choice.

10. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

You're correct on the first statement. It, however, is absolutely NOT a hit, no matter how you dress it up.

I would score fielder's choice because she looked the runner back. If you're not 100 percent sure, it's hard to justify an error.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

But if there's no error or putout, then why doesn't the batter get a base hit? It's like he/she's being penalized because there was a speedy runner on second, of slow defensive players.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

Looking the runner back does not constitute a fielder's choice.

You have to actually make an attempt to get the runner out for it to be a fielder's choice, either by throwing the ball or by trying to tag or force the runner out.

Making a tag with an empty glove because you were too dumb to put the ball in the glove first, however, is an error.

E-3.

Draft saved Draft deleted