1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Softball scoring question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by RedHotChiliPrepper, Apr 14, 2010.

1. We've been debating this here in the office, and I've decided to let SportsJournalists.com break the tie.

Runners on first and third in a HS softball game. Slow roller up the first base line. First baseman fields the ball, checks the runner at third and tags the batter coming up the first base line. But the first baseman makes the tag with an empty glove because she's holding the ball in her throwing hand. Batter is called safe, runners are also safe on second and third.

Do you score it as an infield single or as an E-3. My argument was that it was a mental error, not a physical error and there was not a play made on one of the other runners, so it's not a fielder's choice.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

2. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Thought about it for a second and changed my mind.
    If a player avoids a tag, they're awarded a hit. This runner did the same thing.
    Hit.

3. Rhody, your opinion doesn't count ;D

But I thought of the same thing, which is why I was leaning toward hit.

4. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

It's an error ... citing the NCAA Softball Rules and Interpretations Book:

14.21.3 An error shall be charged against any fielder when
    she catches a thrown ball or fields a ground ball in time to put
    out any runner on a force play and fails to tag the base or the
    runner, including a batter-runner on a play at first base.

5. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

I would probably not rule it a hit. If she fielded the ball clean and was waiting there to apply the tag, the runner didn't "beat it out."

I would lean toward a fielder's choice initially, but upon reading the rule book, it's clear it has to be an error because the first baseman failed to tag the base or apply the tag.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It's an error as much as if the first baseman dropped the ball on the ground.

In the situation described, to get the out, the 1B had only to execute the play with normal competence.

7. CHETtheJET

CHETtheJET Member

remember NCAA rules do not apply if this is a high school game. National HSCF uses ASA rules. There are differences: a balk or non-pitch in ASA is a ball whilst in NCAA version a ball and base runners move up.

8. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

The National Federation stats manual that I have says the following under Errors:

Provision 2:An error shall be charged against any fielder when
    the fielder catches a thrown ball or a ground ball in time to put
    out any runner on a force play and fails to tag the base or the
    runner, including a batter-runner on a play at first base.

Almost word-for-word with the NCAA manual.

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

No doubt. It's an error. She had the opportunity to make the play, and she didn't. Doesn't matter if she dropped the ball, had it in her hand instead of her glove or stuck it in her back pocket and danced an Irish jig.

The example of the runner avoiding the tag doesn't come into play either, because the runner didn't do anything to avoid the tag.

10. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Out of curiosity, did the coaches/players/spectators bitch about the call?

I'm working with a kids' league right now, and boy, when the umpire called the runner safe on a similar play the bystanders' reaction was incredible. It's like, uh, yeah, the tag was in time, but the kid didn't have the ball in his glove.

11. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

It's neither an error or a hit. It's merely a fielder's choice. Charge the batter with an at-bat.

Mental errors don't count. If a batter hits a routine grounder and a fielder picks it up and holds it, it's not a hit, nor an error. It's the fielder's choice.

12. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

In the case described, the fielder "looked the runner back to third," therefore, made a fielder's choice.

It is not an error, though the rulebook cited does not make this clear.

Draft saved Draft deleted