1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Softball scoring question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by KYSportsWriter, May 26, 2009.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Batter doubles, doesn't touch first. Two outs, no one on base.

Hit or not?

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

No hit.

Just a putout for the first baseman (who I'm guessing touched first on the appeal).

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

What if it was a triple and the batter did not touch second? Just asking out of pure curiocity.

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Batter gets credit for a single then.

The batter gets credit for any base in which he legally reached. In your hypothetical, the batter did reach first, but was tossed out at second.

in the original question, the batter never legally reached base, thus it's just a putout. (I'm not entirely who gets credit for the putout, though).

5. CCaple

CCaple Member

KY: Not a hit. If a fielder touches first base with possession of the ball before the batter touches first base, it's never a hit. And like Hank said, that's the only way to appeal something like that.

93, that would be a single, to my knowledge. Not exactly sure how you'd score the put-out, but I would assume that the second baseman or SS would get the unassisted putout on the appeal. So I would score it as a single and a 4U (or 6U). I'm definitely not sure of that though. Good question.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I was thinking that the batter safely reached first, but I was wondering what the respose would be.

Thanks for the answers.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I think it's whoever takes the appeal, unassisted.

8. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Correct. Whoever takes the appeal, and it's a hit only if he/she safely reached a base (or the last base they reached safely).

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Thanks guys.

10. You also must make the appeal at the base before the next pitch is thrown, or that play is over.

Another mistake defensive teams make is to call timeout before making the appeal. Again, it ends the play, so no appeal. Saw it happen in a game, the local HS coach was on top of the rules and pointed it out to the umpire, who ruled in his favor (despite the coach's runner missing the base).

11. How could someone not touch first?

It's a giant square thing sitting on the ground. Seems pretty impossible.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

And in softball, they even have two of them.
    In all seriousness, if you're running full speed and trying to cut the inside corner of the bag to shorten the distance to second it's not hard to see how you could miss it once in a while.

Draft saved Draft deleted