1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Softball scoring question

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by GoTeamGo, May 12, 2009.

1. GoTeamGo

GoTeamGo New Member

I have experience umpiring softball (slow pitch) and have covered the game as a sports reporter for years, but I came across something tonight I haven't seen. At stake is the difference between a no-hitter and a one-hitter. I have looked at rule books online and I cannot find it anywhere. Perhaps someone knows the answer or knows exactly where to look.

There are two outs in the bottom of the seventh inning. A runner is on first base.

The batter hits a grounder to the right side. The first baseman is positioned in front of the base line and the base runner. The ball passes the first baseman without being touched and hits the runner headed to second base. A dead ball was called.

In my experience this means the runner IS NOT out because the ball passed a defensive player before it hit her. The rule the umpire and the coach of the defensive team mentioned, however, was that it is not an automatic out unless the ball has pass ALL of the defensive players in the area.

Then the umpire ruled that he did not think the second baseman had a chance to get to the ball. Only then did he award the runner second base and the batter first base.

So my question is this: Does the batter get credit for a hit?
  2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

always thought that was an out on runner interference, with a hit awarded to batter
  3. I Digress

I Digress Guest

If you're hit by a batted ball, you're out.
  4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Umpires made the right call.
  5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So if the ump made the right call, it's ruled a hit and the runners should be on first and second?
  6. micropolitan guy

I believe so, yes. Ball is dead, everyone is awarded the next base.
  7. Simon_Cowbell

Wow. So, a run can score because this doofus deflected the ball and kept it from getting to the outfielder as a person was trucking toward third?

Should be a blanket rule.
  8. Simon_Cowbell

I didn't see "dead ball" in that official rules interpretation above.
  9. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

From what I understand from that rule, this is only true if the ball gets by all the infielders before hitting a baserunner ... in which case, had the runner not been there, it would have gone into the outfield and been a hit anyway. Seems fair enough to me.
  10. Simon_Cowbell

Person on second, a clean hit can get an out at the plate.

Not a deflected ball.
  11. GoTeamGo

GoTeamGo New Member

Thanks guys for your help. Micropolitan Guy, where did you find that? The only thing I found last night that mirrored the situation I described was in the NCAA softball scoring decisions material. I did not find what you found.
  12. micropolitan guy

It's from the MLB rulebook. Maybe that's different than NCAA softball (it might be, softball has a lot of stupid rules, like re-entry).

And upon m,ore inspection, the umpires only got it half-right. The runner was safe and the ball was live.

Draft saved Draft deleted