1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Softball Scoring Question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by KYSportsWriter, May 5, 2008.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Scenario: Runners on 2nd and 3rd, one out. Ball bunted down third-base line; third baseman throws home, thinking runner was coming home, but runner goes back to third. There's no play at first and catcher can't make the throw.

Single or fielder's choice?

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

would the player have beat the throw to first? benefit goes to the pitcher.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

The catcher couldn't have beaten the runner.

But if the third baseman had thrown to first instead of home, it would be an out.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

FC.

5. NX

NX Member

What TP said.

6. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

I was the one who covered the play in question and I felt had the third baseman come up throwing to first, the hitter doesn't get there safely.

And I can see why she threw home (to either give the catcher the chance to tag out the runner on third OR to keep the runner on third). Had the third baseman gone directly to first, the team could have gotten the out, but a double play at home would have been tough.

For the record, the home team (the team in the field at the time) ruled it a single, costing the pitcher a no-hitter.

I called one of the top stat people in our area and he ran it threw his computer and told me you could input it either way.

I can see either way: FC or 1B. Granted the third baseman did not get an out, she did try to go to a base (even though the runner on third retreated).

And if it didn't affect a no-hitter between two rivals, we wouldn't have brought it up. If ruled a 1B, the pitcher has a nine-strikeout one-hitter instead of the complete-game no-hitter.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Fielder's choice. No other way to score it.

"FIELDER’S CHOICE is the act of a fielder who handles a fair grounder and,
    instead of throwing to first base to put out the batter-runner, throws to another base in an attempt to put out a preceding runner."

8. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

Again, I'm baffled.

The preceding runner did not have to move (as the bases weren't loaded). And had the third baseman thrown to first, the girl is probably out at first (but in turn, the girl at third, one of the fastest in the region, probably scores). The girl at third scored on the next play on a bunt as the first baseman tagged out the bunter and threw to home for the double play but the throw home was late.

9. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Fielder's choice. If a runner on first advanced to second, it becomes a fielder's choice and sacrifice. If no runners advanced, it's FC all the way.

Remember, you have to account for every base.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

there IS no other way to score it.

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Gotta be honest...don't see that the no-hitter is that big a deal. If there were runners on 2nd and 3rd with one out, clearly she wasn't pitching THAT effectively. And having seen just enough softball, I know it's relatively easy to score in that game without benefit of a hit. A walk, a stolen base and two bunts, for example.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Was she bunting to advance the runner or for the hit?

Draft saved Draft deleted