1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Softball scoring question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by RedCanuck, Jul 31, 2007.

1. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

I've got a bit of a chicken and egg situation and I can't decide which pitcher to credit for winning tonight's game. Maybe some of the experienced amateur ball writers have come across this one - and yes, it's probably not even worth asking.

Here's the scenario. Through six complete innings of a seven inning game, the home team trails. In the top of the seventh, their relief pitcher comes in to bat for the right fielder. They go ahead. In the bottom of the inning, he pitches, while the starting pitcher moves to right field. When does the switch occur? Who gets the win?

2. Flash

Flash Guest

Believe that the starter was finished of his pitching duties officially at the end of the sixth inning. Thus the win goes to the reliever.

3. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

That seems to make sense to me.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I disagree... Since the relief pitcher came in to the lineup to hit, he isn't officially until the pitcher of record until he takes the mound in the bottom of the seventh.
    Winning pitcher is the starter; sorry, Flash.

5. champ

champ New Member

I agree. The starter was still the pitcher when his team took the lead and was replaced as such afterward.

6. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I'm with Slappy on this one. The pinch hitter came in for the right fielder. At that point, it could've just been a one step change. At the half inning is when the defensive swap would occur.

Say it began to rain after the winning run was scored, but before the bottom half of the inning. The game (unless there is a rule in that league to revert to the last completed inning) would be over, and the starter would be the only pitcher of record.

7. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I'm confused. Wouldn't it be the home team be leading in this scenario, and the visiting team having to come back in the top of the seventh?

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

No doubt the starter is the winner. The relief pitcher is not in the game as a pitcher until he takes the mound, by which time his team alrready had the lead.
    The starter was the pitcher of record when the winning run scored.

9. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

You caught me. It was the bottom of the sixth when the change happened. Home team didn't take its last at-bat.

10. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

The starter is the winning pitcher because he was the pitcher of record when the go-ahead run scored.

This is pretty cut-and-dry.

11. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

Starting pitcher -- winner
    reliever -- save
    if only all of the questions were that easy.

12. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

Seems like the consensus is for the starter, thank you. Hypothetically, had the pitcher pinch hit for the other pitcher, would it have made a difference?

Draft saved Draft deleted