1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Softball runner hit by batted ball -- safe or out?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TheSportsPredictor, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Flash

Flash Guest

It's just a foul ball ...

2. Flash

Flash Guest

Here's a helpful link for softball ...

http://www.playnsa.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=7

This is for NSA. If you're playing ASA, the major differences are in bats allowed and arc of the pitch. Most rules are the same. Likewise with U-Trip and ISA.

3. Chef

Chef Active Member

U-Trip is the easiest. In fact, just umped 3 games last night.

Had a pitcher who has pitched in this league forever, in his early-mid 50's...guy hitting is 6'5...probably 240...hits an absolute pellet right back at him....if he doesn't put the glove in front of his face.....guaranteed blood. Told the pitcher in between innings...."Harvey......I think I shit my pants for you!"

ASA- Unlimited arch.....pitcher can just chuck it.

My favorite leagues to do is One-pitch.

You go up with a 3-2 count and a one-foul cap.

7-inning games are done in about 40 minutes.

4. Flash

Flash Guest

We play a 2-2 count for sno-pitch. Yup, takes less than an hour for one game.

Up here, we have NSA which is a six- to 15-foot arc and SPN, which six to 12. Would love to play NSA in the States some time. I'm told it's almost a modified pitch.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Awesome, thanks!

6. Flash

Flash Guest

My pleasure ... it's too bad ASA would rather sell their than post it online.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

So if a fielder touches it first and then it hits a runner, he isn't out? We had this happen in one of my son's t-ball games this season. Kid on second, ball hit to the third baseman, goes off his glove hits the runner in the ankle. I argued he should be safe because the fielder touched the ball first and the runner did not interfere with the fielding play.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

That's the way I understand it. Otherwise, you'd probably see fielders "deflecting" balls into runners all the time.

9. Flash

Flash Guest

No, there is no interference by the baserunner on such a play.

10. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

[quote author=Chef]And as usual.....I am correct.

Dead ball.

If runner is forced.....advance.

Even in baseball, even though the bases are in fair territory, as long as the runner is in contact with the base, he is not out.

It's good to have a good friend who is a MLB umpire.

[/quote]
    The base does not protect a runner in baseball.

Rule 7.08f: A runner is out when he is touched by a fair ball in fair territory before the ball has touched or passed an infielder. The ball is ded and o runner may score, nor runners advance, except runners forced to advance. EXCEPTION: If a runner is touching his bas when touched by an Infield Fly, he is not out, although the batter is out.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The base does not protect a runner in baseball.

Rule 7.08f: A runner is out when he is touched by a fair ball in fair territory before the ball has touched or passed an infielder. The ball is ded and o runner may score, nor runners advance, except runners forced to advance. EXCEPTION: If a runner is touching his bas when touched by an Infield Fly, he is not out, although the batter is out.

[/quote]

Difference is that in baseball you can lead off so you shouldn't be standing on the base. That's why they tell you to go in foul territory when taking a lead off third.

Draft saved Draft deleted