1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Softball runner hit by batted ball -- safe or out?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TheSportsPredictor, Aug 28, 2007.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

So, softball umps and armchair QBs, what's your call? If you are a baserunner and get hit by a batted ball which has not yet passed a fielder but you are touching a base, are you out?

I believe in baseball you are out. All the bases are in fair territory, therefore you are in fair territory if you are touching the base. So if a ball hits you while you are touching the base, you are out.

Is that how it works in softball? And if not, what if you are on first base and the ball hits you? You are forced, so would the base be a safety haven in that case (if it normally is).

2. Chef

Chef Active Member

No.

Not an out.

In fact......I don't believe you're out in baseball, either...as long as you are on the bag.

3. Flash

Flash Guest

Safe, if touching a base. Out, if on the base path, even if unintentional.

4. Chef

Chef Active Member

And as usual.....I am correct.

Dead ball.

If runner is forced.....advance.

Even in baseball, even though the bases are in fair territory, as long as the runner is in contact with the base, he is not out.

It's good to have a good friend who is a MLB umpire.

5. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

I thought it was considered a ball (well it is in baseball, i thought).

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So how would it be scored for the batter? Base hit?

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

what if a batted ball hits a fielder and then hits a runner not in contact with the bag?

8. TheSportsPredictor

Nothing, if a fielder has a chance at it, that makes it OK to hit the runner. Especially if the fielder boots it!

9. Chef

Chef Active Member

Single.

Dead Ball.

Only advancement is if the runner is forced.

10. TheSportsPredictor

Damn! We had first and second, it hit the runner on first. The runners should have advanced!

Our runner jumped and landed in foul territory, but I think it hit him in fair. I wasn't questioning him being out. But what if the runner is standing in fair territory and the ball hits his hand which is stretched out in foul territory. Does that make it a fair ball and runner out, or since the ball is in foul territory, it's just a foul ball?

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'd call him out just for being a slow-reacting dimwit.

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

In baseball the position of the ball, not the player's feet, is what matters. If it hits his hand in foul territory, it's a foul ball, no matter where his feet are.

Draft saved Draft deleted