1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Softball photo question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sportsguydave, Jun 28, 2010.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Oh, it didn't bother me. We hung that shit up on the wall and I'm very proud of it. :)

2. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Exactly. I can understand the second thoughts, but I say run the photo because it's the best shot (assuming it is, of course). If a parent or coach complains about it being too revealing, simply point out the shot was revealing due to the outfit, not the photographer. If needed, show other softball pics to prove the intent wasn't to be dirty.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

We got a voicemail last month where a lady so upset over us writing a kid making a error in a high school baseball game "because he does so many good things," She threatened to have 60 or so people call us to complain, then finish it off with a couple of profanities. I had him put it on speakerphone for the whole newsroom, plus pagination, ad production and even a couple folks over in advertising to hear.

4. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

I appreciate your caution, but I say run the shot, as well. In the end, we aren't the ones choosing the uniforms...any complaints should be directed to whoever's in charge of that decision.

It's a basic pitching shot, the same action you would capture if they were wearing burlap sacks with #s stitched on :)

5. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

6. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

Once had a fabulous photo of a pretty good athlete in my area running the turn in the 4x100. I wanted to run it, but two people in the office said the dude's junk was too prominent in the photo.

7. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

Because you said 'junk.'

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I would not run it. You never know you could be showing the bra of a future Supreme Court justice.

[​IMG]

9. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Wearing one of those new all-the-rage tight suits, I bet.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

My old shop ran a full-page poster front of a state champion wrestling kid whose pose and attire left absolutely no doubt as to the status of his cup (nonexistent) and foreskin (same).

11. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

Yeah, it was the one-piece unitard.

Draft saved Draft deleted