1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Softball photo question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sportsguydave, Jun 28, 2010.

1. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Hey all..

In the course of shooting a 12U all-star softball tournament this weekend, I got some pretty good shots of the winning pitcher for our town's squad, who, by the way, threw a no-hitter, so I want to make her the main art.

But in going through the pitching action shots, most of them have a sliver of her sports bra slightly visible. Unfortunately, all our area teams went for the sleeveless unis this year, which appear to be the norm now. They're also all wearing shorts, which of course creates a whole other set of issues.

Not wanting to come to work on Tuesday and see Chris Hansen waiting for me in the lobby, I'm waffling on the photo. I have some less compelling shots of the pitcher looking in for a sign, without the sports bra issue.

Thoughts?

2. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

Damn, by the title of this thread, I was counting on an easy question to answer. As it is, I'm flummoxed.

In seriousness, don't be a boob — run the photo. I'm assuming we're talking about a sliver of strap? Visible on her shoulder? I just don't see how running that picture would backfire on you. Girl had a fantastic game, presumably one of her best ever. You got a picture as it happened. Barring a serious wardrobe malfunction, I run the art.

But I'm also fortunate in that I don't have to make many photo decisions, so it's possible my instincts are deadened.

3. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I'd have to see the photo but from your description, I say run it.

It could be worse. Last fall, my coworker was shooting girls tennis. Girl bends down to get a low slicer at the net and he captures pure, 100 percent sophomore girl titty. He pulls the picture up on the computer, we give it a look over and, realizing it's indeed titty (nipple and all), we immediately delete all traces of it.

I practically felt Chris Hansen's breath on my neck.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I always err on the side of caution here (think Williams, Venus French Open), but this is not the case. Run it.

Sometimes, though, I wonder if we outthink ourselves here, like that photo of Ron Artest with a cigar in his mouth during the Lakers' parade. I ran it, but was afraid there'd be a deluge of calls or e-mails from the smoking police. Eventually said 'screw this, I'm just a sporto, not a moral guardian'

5. sportsguydave

To give you guys a bit more detail: The photo is your standard softball pitching shot, ball held high, kind of a sideways view. Moon-shaped sliver of the sports bra visible, but visible skin appears to be arm and shoulder. If someone can tell me how to post a photo here (not a link to a photo), I guess I could crop her face out and post it so we can all see what we're dealing with.

6. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

How is a sports bra any different than a bikini top?
    Seriously, having spent 3 years involved in girls volleyball -- high school and club -- I have seen girls, with no hesitation, change their jerseys in full view of everybody. I have seen girls practicing in sports bras.
    Unless you're in amish country, run the photo.

7. esport12

esport12 Member

Run it. It captures the moment. Papers run pictures -- heck ads, even -- of girls in a bikini. This is a sliver. It's not like it's Brandi Chastain.

8. sportsguydave

Girls tennis.. ugh. Let's not even go there... ::)

Track and field is getting to be just as bad with the aerodynamic uniforms... Hurdles, long jump, high jump and triple jump are often out altogether.

9. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I got a nasty snail mail message from some old fudley dudley (signed anonymously of course) a couple months ago because I shot a gymnastics photo of a chick on the beam and, well, she lifted her legs as part of her routine and it was a rather revealing shot.

I used it though because it was a cool photo. Not my problem people are sick. Fuck 'em

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Is the sliver on her shoulder, under her arm or over her heart?

11. CR19

CR19 Member

Run it. Unless you are purchasing the uniforms for the team, don't worry about the hate mail from readers. The readers who have a problem should talk to the top person with the team, not you.

12. Diego Marquez

Diego Marquez Member

And never let an unsigned letter bother you. You took the time to put your name on the story/photo. If they can't do the same, screw 'em.

Draft saved Draft deleted