1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Soft/Baseball Scoring Question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sportshack06, Apr 2, 2009.

1. sportshack06

sportshack06 Member

had a prep game tonight... I've already sent my story in on deadline, but I've been trying to look this up to no avail for the past hour.

Never seen this situation where the starting pitcher gets the save, but wanted to make sure I've credited things correctly for future reference, since this wasnt the typical situation you see in any normal baseball game.

Home Team has a 1-0 lead in the third. Home Team's pitcher gets into trouble in the third, issues a one-out bases loaded walk to tie the game at 1.

Home team swaps the SS and the P and the new pitcher strikes out the final two hitters of the inning and the score is tied at 1. Home team scored a run in the bottom half of the inning, to take a 2-1 lead... and to start the fourth inning, the home team swaps the SS and P back to their original positions.

I credited the relief pitcher with the Win, since she came into a tie game and the team regained the lead with her in the circle and credited the starting pitcher with the Save, since she entered a one-run game and pitched the final four frames (despite throwing 6 and 1/3 overall).

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Nope. Pitcher who starts a game can not get a save. Starter gets the win. The SS/P did not pitch long enough to earn the win.
    If starter goes less than required innings for a win (4 in a 7 inning game), scorer has the judgment to credit the win to the most effective relief pitcher.
    Starter who went 6 1/3 earned it in this case.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

babe ruth was moved to RF, not SS.

4. sportshack06

sportshack06 Member

Make that two of us...

I knew a starter can't get the save (or a winning pitcher can't save his own win), but I've only seen the Braves last year during opening week swap position player for pitcher and then back again in the last 20 years (and that was a blowout game that had nothing to do with the pitchers of record).

Also, I guess I wasnt clearly considering the original starter to be a reliever.

Thanks for the help buck and spnited...

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Well, technically, the Braves didn't switch a position player and a pitcher and back again. They put in a new pitcher, moved Resop to LF for one batter, then replaced the pitcher with Gregor Blanco and put Resop back on the mound. That's not terribly unusual; it happens every couple of years.

The last time a team did a switch-and-back like that -- although it should come with an asterisk because it was two pitchers anyway -- was when the Mets had Orosco and McDowell alternating between P and RF for three innings in July 1986.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CIN/CIN198607220.shtml

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

But that would only be the case if the starter failed to go 4 innings, departed as the winning pitcher of record and stayed that way.

Because the home team took the lead while the reliever was the pitcher, she therefore is the pitcher of record and gets the win, even though she only pitched 2/3 of an inning.

7. bueller

bueller Member

I can't find anything that disqualifies the starting pitcher from getting one, as long as they don't get the win and they finish the game. Hack, I think you got it right.

MLB 10.19 -- http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/downloads/y2008/official_rules/10_the_official_scorer.pdf
    NCAA baseball 10.26 (page 127) -- http://www.ncaapublications.com/Uploads/PDF/Baseball_Rules_Bookd3de81d6-3cc9-4da4-a3ac-8ec821d37c91.pdf
    NCAA softball 14.29.8 (page 237) -- http://www.ncaapublications.com/Uploads/PDF/Softball_Rules_Bookb4c2d7bc-06ba-4862-8bc6-df8d900bab6b.pdf

Can't find the high school rulebooks online.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I'm going with this one. If someone pitches 6 1/3 out of 7 innings --- including the first batter and the last batter --- they should get the win and there would be no save.

9. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I'd have to agree with you, desk.

Pitcher on the mound when the eventual winning run scored gets the win.

10. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

Really basic one in the office tonight.

Guy on second, batter hits a blooper into shallow left. Runner is halfway to see if ball is caught, gets thrown out at third. Single or fielder's choice? I was pretty sure it was a 7-5 FC, but I was voted down.

11. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Reliever gets the win.
    Second reliever - who happened to be the starter - gets the save.
    The pitcher isn't re-entering as the starter; they are entering as a new pitcher. The rule is to prevent a starting pitcher winning 1-0 and getting a win and save.

12. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Forced out?
    If it's a force out, it's a FC. If there was no runner on first, it's a single

Draft saved Draft deleted