1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Socks

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

People wearing shoes on the beach or at the swimming pool should be shot.

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Boat shoes, no socks.

3. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I'm crazy about socks when I'm wearing shorts.
    I hate when people wear adidas sneakers and Nike socks. It looks stupid and doesn't match. My socks and sneakers (as well as golf shoes) have to match brands, unless I'm wearing logoless socks or socks made by someone who isn't known for their sneaks (Champion, Polo, etc.)
    Freshman year of college, I tried to explain this to my buddy, who wondered why I was changing out of a pair of reebok socks into Nike ones when we went to play flag football. I told him something like "I have to; don't want to piss the sponsors off." He does the same thing now (he got me back when he told me about rinsing ice before putting a drink that isn't water in it. Give that a try).
    In pants, I wear quarter-length athletic socks, except with black shoes.
    Another buddy doesn't match his socks by look; he matches them by thickness. He washes them all, throws them in his drawer and pulls two out that feel the same. He buys a new pair before every round of golf. It's crazy.

4. Petrie

Petrie Guest

All the socks I wear are white ankle/no-show, and they're all Puma. Ross had some good deals a while back. Plus, they go great with my jorts. (Hi, Dick! :D)

5. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

This thread is entertaining as everything. Just the fact that it exists is great. The combination of serious answers and is-this-really-a-sock-thread answers is great. And teh gay sock and socks-with-sandals pics are great.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'm amused the left-side ad (for me) on this thread is for Tommy Hilfiger.

7. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Mine is for Sandals Resort. Too freaking funny.

8. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Mine is something that ends with the line "Find Peace With God Today."

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Mine's for Xfinity triple play.

I got hosed.

10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

RIP the Clinton cat. Put to sleep at approx. age 20 in 2009.

11. ShiptoShore

ShiptoShore Member

On the bright side, at least guys like me who wear sandals don't have to worry about getting with psycho chicks.

Wear sandals in front of an SportsJournalists.com female and you might wake up with your penis in the garbage disposal.

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

To work, I wear mid- to upper-calf black, cotton socks with my boots. They're certainly better than the old wool socks the Army used to issue. However, when I'm on a foot march I use a synthetic, moisture-wicking sock designed for heavy duty, extended wear and moisture. After tying my bootlaces, I fold the sock down over the top of the boot, and run a roll of duct tape around it a couple of times to keep it from sinking back down in my boot and bunching up, causing discomfort and possibly blisters.

To workout, I wear white, logo-less ankle socks that cover the ankle bone to comply with the Army dress and appearance regulation. With my dress uniform, it's blue pants, black socks and black shoes, trimmed out with some sock suspenders to keep them up.

With shorts, I mostly wear flip-flops.

With long pants, I match the socks to the pants, first; then to the shoes. For example, if I'm wearing slacks, it's almost always lace-up shoes with plain or simply designed socks. The thickness depends on shoe comfort. If I'm wearing khakis, it's almost always slip-on shoes with a more plainly designed, cotton sock -- most often single color -- that comes above the calf.

I absolutely can't stand socks that fall down. I bought six pairs of socks in Ireland because the ones I packed kept falling down.

Draft saved Draft deleted