1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Socks

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

We all wore them at some point in the '80s. Don't lie, now.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Rudy Gay was not happy when the Memphis Grizzlies adopted stitched name socks.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I just experimented with those socks once in college.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Damn you, Ace. I just got home, saw that post and was reading to the bottom to make that post.

But I experimented three times. They just didn't satisfy me the same way.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

White socks with blue jeans, shorts, etc. Black or dark blue with dress pants. No socks with sandals, obviously.

6. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Screw all you hippies! This is an acceptable form of dress.

OK, maybe not in public but still. It's comfortable as shit.

7. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Short, white socks when wearing sneakers. With jeans and slacks, I've got probably two dozen pair, some stripes, some patters, some solid colors like yellow, pink, purple, green, etc. etc. I usually match the solid ones with one of the colors in my shirt (got a bunch of funky colorful shirts). I wear the stripes and patterns when I'm wearing a solid-color shirt. Socks are an easy way to add some color to an otherwise drap outfit. Today, I wore khakis and a dark blue buttondown. Socks were blue-and-white stripes. For the prior five work days, my socks matched my shirt.

I think about this stuff way more than is healthy for me.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's not the size of the sock. It's how it makes you feel.

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I am aware that some people can pull off more daring looks, but I play it really safe. With any kind of wool dress pants, the socks match the trousers. With khakis or cords, more freedom. For example, today I am wearing khakis in LL Bean's "bay blue" color (a bit of a grayish blue) and the socks are a slightly darker blue.

I wouldn't wear white socks except with jeans, but I seldom wear jeans anymore (I prefer the lightness of khakis).

In casual situations except in hot weather, I really like Wigwam merino wool socks, made in USA. The initial cost is not cheap, but in my opinion they are well worth it because they last much longer than cheap socks, so you actually are paying less in the long run, and they feel nice and thick and warm.

10. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Men wearing sandals in public should be shot on the spot. Add socks to that equation and even death is too good for you. Get some real shoes, hippies!

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I think I just fell in love with you.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You can have my sandals when you pry them from my cold, smelly feet.

Draft saved Draft deleted