1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Social Media manager advice

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by UNCGrad, May 10, 2012.

1. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

I hope this is the appropriate board for this kind of question, and people here have been helpful in the past. Plus, I figured somebody else might benefit from a thread like this since social media is a big part of everything, including PR positions.

First, about me. I've been a D-II SID for the last couple of years after more than a decade as a small town sports editor at a 10K circ. daily.

I have a morning phone interview tomorrow about a PR position that includes "social media" manager in the position title, as well as being a content manager, which from what I can gather from the ad, is basically being the company's editorial director (releases/features/website, etc.). I feel confident about much of what the ad is looking for, though I find it curious that among the job responsibilities listed, handling the various social media platforms (they reference Facebook and Twitter, no others) is listed pretty far down the line despite the position title.

All of that said, I figure some of the interview will cover social media, so I'm seeking advice from those who may have interviewed for a similar position, or who do the interviewing for a similar position, or can offer some knowledge about what they would expect. Obviously, as an SID, I use the hell out of Facebook and Twitter to get word out and update events in my current job, but I want to make sure I have all my bases covered here and am not overlooking anything.

Any advice would be helpful.

Many thanks.

2. UNCGrad

Had the phone interview, and as I was halfway expecting, it was more about editorial direction and writing than anything else. Formal interview next week, and while I'm happy where I am, I could use better hours and less travel.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Does being older than 30 disqualify you from social media manager jobs?

4. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I dunno, you cannot be 30 and have 20 years of Internet experience like I do ;)

Well, maybe you can.

5. UNCGrad

Had the formal interview today, and I can't help but feel like it went really well. (FIXED) Of course, we've all been there before, so I'll be waiting to see what happens next. It would be a big opportunity now and down the road, and a potential raise at a difficult time in media. Fingers crossed...

6. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

That's excellent news. Unless it's not.

Care to elaborate? :)

Draft saved Draft deleted