1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Social media costs someone a job yadda, yadda, yadda...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Sep 2, 2015.

1. New Conrhusker PA announcer canned after a old FB post is brought to light in which he criticized UN for firing Bo Pelini.
    Nebraska hires PA announcer, fires PA announcer over critical Facebook post

To his credit the guy to took the diplomatic response to being canned. I haven't seen the post, but it must have been pretty hateful toward Nebraska for it to fire him after the fact(s). If not, I think they went overboard. But I guess if you have plenty of applicants you can afford to pick and choose.

2. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Here's apparently what the post said ...

"Harvey Perlman is as (sic) disgrace. Remember this was the guy who extended Steve Pederson’s contract only to fire him a few months later. When will he be held to account?"

It may be a little overboard, but he's a big enough boy to know you don't shit where you eat - or shit where you may want to eat at some point.

Nebraska hires PA announcer, fires PA announcer over critical Facebook post

3. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Dumb thing to do if you're trying to get Harvey to give you a job.

4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The job can't be for more than a few hundred bucks for each of seven or eight home games a season.

5. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I think it reveals Nebraska as a bunch of jerks. Nebraska is a public institution. For a school to fire a guy for something said about an employee of said public institution nine months after the fact is to say that anyone who ever says something negative about a public institution can not get a job there? I think the ACLU would eat the state's lunch in court.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

My issue is that you hire the guy, then fire him the next day. And the firing wasn't over something like an undiscovered criminal record, for instance. What about the vetting process?

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Why? It's a part-time position that, at most, probably would pay the guy a couple grand a year. And he made the comments before he was employed by the school. The harm to him is minimal.

Draft saved Draft deleted