1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sochi Olympics Running Thread.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Or John Daly.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

In China you start out with total distrust and build trust on top of that.
    In Russia " " " " " fear " " distrust " " " ".

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

South Africa's lone entrant deemed not good enough:

http://wintergames.ap.org/article/south-africa-denies-teenage-skier-sochi-place

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah, different countries have different standards for making their teams. Some countries will enter the maximum number of entrants in every event (that's why you have 150 people in some of the races), while others won't for various reasons.

It seems a little ironic that someone from a small country (whether they actually live there or not) gets to compete, while the 20th best person from a large country doesn't make it, even if they have better times.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

My one objection to so many of the newer winter Olympic sports --- snowboarding, moguls, aerials, etc. --- is that they have to get a judges' score. Not sure that there is any other way to do it, but I've always preferred sports where you are judged against a clock or scoreboard or something more objective.

I don't know how many judging controversies there are in some of these sports, compared to, say, figure skating, but I guess I always preferred the other sports.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

The selection process for certain sports has gotten more complicated. Figure skating was like that, too. They are not contractually required to take the top two (or three) finishers at the Olympic trials any longer, the way swimming, track and some other sports do.

I see valid arguments both ways. On the one hand, it brings an element of subjectivity into the process that can leave some competitors feeling slighted. On the other hand, it gives a governing body the option of putting a deserving performer on the team even if they have an unfortunately timed injury or just an off performance at the wrong time.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The selection process should be about who's the best, not who's the most marketable.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Did anyone actually say otherwise? Or are we jumping to conclusions that Jones somehow doesn't deserve to be on the team?

10. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Fwiw the skating event they had a few weeks ago where everyone flipped out when Wagner made the team was not the "Olympic trials."

The winter Olympic trials in many Olympic sports the last few Olympiads have been almost entirely for TV anyway. In Nordic combined, for instance, there was about 0.00001 percent chance someone not almost guaranteed to make the team would have won. If someone unexpected had won they would have been te alternate. (The alternate thing would have been true in 2010 anyway. This year there's no alternate so it could have been more complicated. As it did turn out the guy who won did make the team, but only barely. But that's another story.) They didn't even do a "trials" this year for some events they have had it for in the past.

Basically, it means a lot more in something like track and field.

11. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

There are a handful of events that interest me enough to actually sit down and watch; maybe 5 percent. After those, wake me when all this is over.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Sochi, pop. 343,334 (as of 2010), has zero gay residents. So say the mayor.

http://espn.go.com/olympics/winter/2014/story/_/id/10358250/2014-winter-olympics-mayor-anatoly-pakhomov-says-there-no-gay-people-sochi

Draft saved Draft deleted