1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Soccer's Next Great Arrival is Predicted

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/28/sports/soccer/28bids.html?ref=soccer

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I saw the headline this morning. Couldn't bring myself to read the article.

Let me know when it's arrived.

BTW, did anyone look at the Dog Show's ratings vs. the MLS Cup?

3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I saw my favorite thought on this a while back, I think in the Weekly Standard. Saying that soccer is the US sport of the future is like saying apple juice is the drink of the future. People always predict this because kids play soccer, but that's because it's easier to be agile with your feet at a younger age than with your hand (you know what I mean).

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Didn't most of the soccerheads get tired of being owned around here and go elsewhere?

5. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

So, other than the fact that the article has nothing to do with "soccer's next great arrival," and that none of you apparently read it, you've got a great thread here. Keep up the good work.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

7. zagoshe

Boomer is obviously a soccerhead.

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I've noticed that a disproportionate number of soccer haters are also conservative politically.

Not sure if clinging to old attitudes, general assholery and being xenophobic have anything to do with this, but it would certainly make an interesting study.

9. zagoshe

No, I think soccer hating is pretty much universal among Americans of all races, creeds, colors and political affiliations.

I'm thinking it has to do with the fact that Americans hate pussies and hate sports which cater to pussies.

10. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Yup that's it. You've got it all figured out.

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Ooh, how to respond!

Um . . . your mother?

12. zagoshe

No I think what you should do is fall down on the ground and roll around like you are dying for five minutes.....

Draft saved Draft deleted