1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Soccer writing jobs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Ruben Rivas, Jan 7, 2015.

1. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

You're lambasting a guy for coming on here to seek advice and direction, because you think he's self-promoting. And then you snidely chastise him for writing errors?

Maybe you need to take a step back.

2. Sports Guy

Sports Guy Member

Maybe you need to take a step back.

3. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Clever. Have a good day.

4. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

I dont really know whats going on here, Im just a hard worker that wont quit until I get the job I want... :cool:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Hard worker WHO - keep at it and take advantage of being bilingual. That is a skill that can come in handy.

Sports Guy, cool it.

6. ringer

ringer Active Member

I have an idea. Ruben, could you find out which pro soccer games ESPN Deportes is broadcasting near you, call their production office, and see if you can work for their production staff as a "runner" during those games? It doesn't pay much but if you do good work, they will keep hiring you as needed. At the same time, it will allow you to try different off-camera roles, help you figure out what your strengths are, and enable you to make connections.

If you do this, though, it's best to be prepared to tell them exactly what you can do for them. They'll want skills, not dreams. (So it's worth highlighting your language skills, professional soccer knowledge, and -- if you can make a great cup of coffee, they'll like that, too.)

I hope that helps. Good luck!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

+1. There are plenty of cases when some clueless kid gets on here and deserves to be taken down a peg, but this doesn't seem to be one of those. Ruben, polish your English a bit and you could be a very valuable commodity, being bilingual, having played the game at a pretty high level and appearing to have an interest in many aspects of the communications business. Best of luck to you.

8. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

My senior year of college (I quit the team bc of injuries) I worked for the events crew at school so I learned most of the technology involved with recording and streaming live baseball, basketball, soccer and volleyball games, I used the switchboard and the camera... some of the sound too.

I am stuck in Columbia SC right now, the only sports related thing that they have here are the usc gamecocks, I have a marketing job here, I had to take it, I have to pay bills, I don't really have any contacts with the gamecock media and I heard its hard to get in with them since a lot of students are looking for those positions.

I did a chrismast break internship at WIS (the local news channel) but because of transportation I couldn't stay with them.

I graduated a year and half ago, I am not that young, I went back to college after trying to play professional soccer.

For now I write for a Salvadorian page that is owned by one of my friends in El Salvador, the page has about 30k followers but I do most of the writing in Spanish, I also help with youth soccer coaching on my free time and I write for my blog, I enjoy editing videos as well.

In the long run I will like to coach or to work with films, tv and radio, I am passionated about all those things.

Thanks to those members with advices, its been a long journey for me but I am finally seeing a light in the tunnel, moving as a junior in High School from Los Angeles to Columbia South Carolina was a huge cultural shock, being one of the 10 hispanics on a school of 3k students where 85% were Anglo-Americans was really something.

Again, thanks for your attention, I will keep up with my blog and keep looking around to see where I can land a true journalism job, I will prefer to work for a sport network, as you guys know, I am friends with a few professional soccer players but I truly don't know anybody that works in the American media.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  9. Someone needs to take the stick out of their posterior.

+1

10. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Ruben,

Why don't you contact the L.A. Galaxy (communications/administrative offices), or, indeed, any professional soccer franchise, and see what, if any, internships they may have available now or ever upcoming? Tell the team about yourself, what you're looking for professionally at this point, and go from there. Or, see if you can hook up with a college/university communications office or radio station, even if only on a short-term basis.

I guarantee that being bilingual, particularly with Spanish, is practically the No. 1 requirement and most valued qualification in dealing with pro soccer beats, in broadcasting or print/web media. Or, at least, it is perceived to be so.

11. Sports Guy

Sports Guy Member

Jim Luther Davis, If you read the entire thread, you will see that I didn't comment on his writing abilities, though others did.

12. Sports Guy

Sports Guy Member

BDC99 typed: Certainly, Ruben has a problem as a writer with English being a second language. To Ruben, English language journalism probably isn't in the cards until that improves dramatically to be honest. But, over the air in TV or radio, or with some Spanish Language publications may be an opportunity.

Draft saved Draft deleted