1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Soccer writing jobs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Ruben Rivas, Jan 7, 2015.

1. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Hello,

I am a former college soccer player, I work on marketing bc I couldnt get a job coaching or in journalism. I dont even know where to start, I had to pay my bills so I took this job, 5 years from now I want to be coaching or with an sport-journalism job somewhere.

If you know any contact, let me know.

Thanks.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Ruben, I'm moving this to the journalism board because the job board is something we keep for actual job openings. You can post your contact info in the freelance help available section and maybe someone will give you a shot at some freelance work.

Do you have any journalism background or education? I'll be frank, because it is part of my job as a hiring manager: "an sport-journalism job" is not a good start. It is "a sports journalism job." Details are important. It is a competitive market and many people want the same thing you want. Attention to detail can make the difference.

3. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Thanks for the attention, English is my second language but I am working to improve everyday, I didn't start speaking English until I was 16 years old.

In college I helped a lot at the tv and radio station, I was part of the newspaper as well, worked and played for the varsity team so I have done it all, my first job was as a ditch washer at a Mexican restaurant, a true underdog here, I was also a finalist for the LA Galaxy (tried out) but soccer didn't work out for me as a player because of injuries.

Here is a video that I did in college with one of my french teammates.

Here is my blog, I always wanted to work as a soccer analyst or as a coach but I haven't had a real shot yet.

http://rubenrivasla.blogspot.com

I will keep working until I make it :cool:

4. Sports Guy

Sports Guy Member

And then he makes a second post. Nothing like self-promotion, I guess.

5. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Nothing wrong with that, I am a nobody anyway.

6. Sports Guy

Sports Guy Member

You don't get it, dude. There is something wrong with your self-promotion. Moreover, then you have the excuse that English is your second language when someone points out your writing errors? This is buffoonery.

7. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

I will keep improving, everybody make mistakes, nobody is perfect.

8. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

I don't like when other writers castigate others for errors. This forum seems to try and embarrass young writers who are enthusiastic about getting into the biz. Be encouraging instead of snarky. He isn't going to steal your job.

Certainly, Ruben has a problem as a writer with English being a second language. To Ruben, English language journalism probably isn't in the cards until that improves dramatically to be honest. But, over the air in TV or radio, or with some Spanish Language publications may be an opportunity.

A bi-lingual soccer writer or baseball writer is valuable. Radio and TV would work, or even behind the scenes doing the journalism part, reporting the news, and having an editor help your copy would be helpful. Some publications have Spanish versions. Try that too. Maybe a producer for radio or TV would work.

If you aren't a great writer, then you have to be a terrific journalist. That would mean breaking news and analysis. As a Spanish speaking writer, you can talk and get to know players that others can't. That's a big advantage over the better writers.

I would take a terrific journalist who can get news, develop sources and analyze over a talented writer who can turn a phrase. Keep on plugging away and find your niche.

9. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

I love writing, I do it even if I dont have to, its a good hobby of mine.

I dont get discouraged at anything, my life has been a huge struggle but here I am earning my paycheck and daydreaming of one day to become a good journalist, the one that wont be manipulated with money and wont lie to his audience.

I love the communications field, filmmaming, broadcasting, radio, newspapers, that is why I decided to go back to college instead of getting an agent to go play abroad...

10. Sports Guy

Sports Guy Member

Ruben, Speaking two languages is a definite plus for you. Go for it as a broadcaster, radio guy.

11. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Take a deep breath, man. Sheesh.

12. Sports Guy

Sports Guy Member

Maybe you should go troll someone else ...

Draft saved Draft deleted